Saturday, January 26, 2013

THE TERRIFYING CREATURES OF DOCTOR WHO

Day of the Woman is solely dedicated to the world of horror movies, but there are moments when crossovers do exist.  The amazing thing about horror is that it is present in every aspect of our lives.  We fear whether or not we're going to get a job interview, we worry if our significant other is going to get home from work safely, we develop severe cases of anxiety wondering if anyone saw us pick our wedgies in public.  Now, I have a confession to make.  I am a Whovian.  Before any of you attack me with TARDIS salt shakers, please note that I have been a Whovian since I was a little girl.  My dad introduced me to old WHO long before David Tennant flashed a smile, so back off!  I hate that I even have to make that disclaimer, but, you know, since I'm a girl I have to work twice as hard to prove my geek cred...*breaks fourth wall and looks directly at viewer* ANYWAY, for those who have never watched DOCTOR WHO, I'll give you a quick refresher before going on with this list.  DOCTOR WHO. "Doctor Who is a British science fiction television programme produced by the BBC. The programme depicts the adventures of a Time Lord—a time travelling, humanoid alien known as the Doctor. He explores the universe in his 'TARDIS', a sentient, telepathic time-and-space-travel machine that flies through the time vortex. Its exterior appears as a blue British police box, a common sight in Britain in 1963, when the series first aired. Along with a succession of companions, the Doctor faces a variety of foes while working to save civilizations, help ordinary people, and right wrongs." -shamelessly stolen from wikipedia.

These aforementioned 'variety of foes' can range from the silly to the downright nightmare inducing.  That's where I come in.  The horror of DOCTOR WHO is unlike anything I've ever experienced.  I'm sure it doesn't hurt that I'm emotionally invested into the characters to the point of obsession, but I admit that I've had my fair share of sleepless nights over some of the DOCTOR WHO monsters.  With that in mind, I present to you-The terrifying creatures of DOCTOR WHO *OOOOOH WHEEEEEE OOOOOOH!*

 WARNING: DOCTOR WHO FAVORITES LIKE THE DALEKS OR THE CYBERMEN WILL NOT BE REPRESENTED. THIS LIST IS FOR CREATURES THAT WOULD BE TERRIFYING TO LOOK AT IN WORLDS OUTSIDE OF THE DOCTOR WHO UNIVERSE.

PEG DOLLS (episode: Night Terrors)
There's something about the combination of creepy looking wooden dolls (that can walk) and giggling laughter that makes my skin crawl, and these weirdos are no exception. If they touch you, you become one, trapped forever as a wooden doll. The scariest part is the only way to encounter these creeps is to be sucked into a dollhouse, where you are the same size as they are. Holy balls. No thank-you. I'll take the check please.

SMILERS/WINDERS (episode: The Beast Below)
Writer Stephen Moffat is an asshole. I'm just going to put it out there. His twisted mind creates creepy ass shit like the three faced man to my right and his creations will frequently show up on this list. He's a twisted sombitch.


 THE ZYGONS (episode: Terror Of The Zygons)
These creepy looking squid monsters are quite possibly the most impressively built monsters of the classic who series.  Old Who was also known for its micro-budget, so costumes like these were hard to come by.  However, these shape-shifting sea creatures could replicate the image of any (living) organism, being masters of disguise.  Whatever they were shifting as, they had to keep alive, which for some reason makes them even creepier.  If the tentacles, didn't freak you out enough, maybe the fact they survive off of the breast milk of the Loch Ness Monster will do it for you...

**NOTE: You may notice an abundance of monsters from the newest WHO series.  This isn't to say that the old episodes aren't as good, but the technology and FX weren't up to par with the creatures of today. Old Who monsters were scary to the point of hoping the Doctor would survive. New Who monsters tend to be the stuff of nightmares**



THE FLOOD (episode: The Waters of Mars)
The Flood are a creepy water dwelling civilization that reside inside of a glacier on Mars.  Unfortunately, these buggers needed a host and started infecting humans like the god damned THING.  The poor, unfortunate humans being infested would start to violently convulse and have seizure like episodes. The results-horrifying humanoids with weird mouths and dead eyes.  Ugh. Kill me.

 THE SILENCE (a whole lot of episodes)
If Slenderman had a baby with an Alien, the result would be something representing the Silence.  Again, Moffat is a huge asshole. The second you look away from them, you forget you ever saw them BUT retain suggestions made to you. This allows them to have a pervasive influence across human history while being difficult to locate or resist..  I guess that could be beneficial in that you couldn't have nightmares over them, but now they can kill the crap out of you and you will never see it coming.

JAMIE (episode: The Empty Child)
"Have you seen my mommy?" NO. NO I HAVEN'T YOU CREEPY LITTLE SHIT. I don't care if it was during the London Blitz and I sure as hell don't care that this episode won a Hugo, there is something so painfully unsettling about an upset child in a gas mask.  Oh, not to mention, HE'S DEAD. HE'S A WALKING UNDEAD CRYING CHILD IN A FUCKING GAS MASK.  This is the sort of thing Bio-Shock would come up with, not my treasured Doctor Who!  Again, Stephen Moffat knows exactly how to make my entire life feel like a terrifying nightmare that I can't seem to wake up from.  How do you think of things like this!?


WEEPING ANGELS (way too many episodes, I'm going to go cry now)
While I try to describe these evil bastards, I'm going to note that I'm undergoing a staring contest with my computer screen.  Weeping Angels are as old as the universe and there is a belief that every statue is a Weeping Angel.  Once you see a Weeping Angel, you must not look away.  Every time you look away, or even blink, the statue moves closer...and closer....and closer....and closer....and closer....UNTIL THE BITCH GRABS YOU AND SENDS YOU AWAY FOREVER. They're terrifying, and don't get me started on the cherub statues. Those assholes giggle. Stephen Moffat, I hate you.

5 comment(s):

Derek OBrien said...

Thanks for this, it was good revisiting some, and seeing some monsters I haven't seen yet.
I thought one of the Zygons' best qualities was their soft, sibilant voices, a contrast to their appearances. As for the Weeping Angels, had they stayed in their début episode, they would have been truly legendary. As it is, at least for me, their continued reappearances have lessened their impact.

Chris Hewson said...

You're a Whovian? Cool! Then you're probably the only horror blogger I read who's even seen a single frame of DW! haha!

As a Whovian myself, my list of its scariest monsters would include all of your ones (great list!), plus the Thing-like plant organism from The Seeds of Doom, the Primords from Inferno, the Mara (Kinda and Snakedance) and the Heamovores (Curse of Fenric)!

Jenny Krueger said...

The first two monsters were creepy as hell. I hate dolls. I have always been scared of talking dolls thanks to my fear of Chucky.

I haven't seen a single episode of Doctor Who. Doesn't really strike my fancy.

Kaijinu said...

"you should kill us all in sight..."

them Silence were pretty badass for me, but yeah, nothing beat them Angels...

Wanda Psycho said...

Dr. Who and I were born around the same time! The program, that is. The Time Lord himself is a tad older than me.
Creepy dolls always get to me. But those damn angels...fuck those things! I really hate those bastards.

Related Posts with Thumbnails