Thursday, July 14, 2011

SHOCK VALUE: THE HORROR FAN'S GUIDE TO SOME OF THE GREATEST FILMS EVER MADE

After mother nature gave me a perverbial bitch slap by not only destroying the homes of those I love but also taking away my power AGAIN (check out the northern suburbs of Chicago online. It's what M. Night Shamalahymen wishes The Happening was like) It's BJ-C, bitch.  I'm back and after a horror high from the PJ Soles blogathon, I'm about ready to take on the world.
While I was without the use of the internet or basic lighting, I was finally able to use my time to do something productive rather than stalk people on a certain bookfaced social networking site for hours on end. Yes, I finally had time to read a damn book.  Let me tell you, I finished this one in a single sitting.  Jason Zinoman's book SHOCK VALUE is like reading The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy for horror fanatics.  As one of the babies of the horror blogosphere, I was born in a time of bad teenage slashers and was only able to access the glory of the 70's from whatever my mother deemed worthy for my eyes to see.  A book like this isn't something I can reminisce over nostalgic distances, it's something I NEED to fully grasp what I missed by being conceived nearly two decades too late.  While Universal and the black and white films of yesteryear were the originals and the classics, it was the horror of this era that truly established the proper canon of horror films.  
Zinoman isn't concentrating solely on the films themselves, but digs deep to deliver us the true inner workings of films that we cherish so intensely.  He discusses not only the creative process, but also the underlying meanings of the films that are often overlooked due to the gore, scares, or killers.  This product of the Penguin Press doesn't just analyze what it is about these films that helped define an entire golden genre of film, it gives us as horror fans an entirely new level to appreciate when watching these films. 

I find it remarkably difficult to try to describe what this book is truly all about without 1) completely ruining it for you and 2) going into an extreme fangirl mode and writing a novel of sorts on this page.  All I have to say is trust me when I say this book is by a true horror connoisseur, for horror connoisseurs.  Zinoman has managed to bring out the heart as well as the brain that went into changing not only the horror genre, but the world of film as a whole.

SHOCK VALUE is now on sale
and you'll be doing yourself a grave disservice 
if you do not find a way to pick it up.

4 comment(s):

babyfivetongues said...

Thank you for the recommendation. I will have to pick it up. Have you ever read Skal's The Monster Show? It is interesting read regarding horror and culture. Good stuff.

Mr. Xploit, Esquire said...

I'll look for this at my library. I love the subtitle of the book. Looks awesome.

heathertlc said...

I'm so glad you found this to be such an informative and enjoyable read!

Thanks for being on the tour. I'm featuring your review on TLC's Facebook page today.

trish said...

I love that you're a fangirl. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails