Tuesday, October 5, 2010

TERRIBLE POSTER TUESDAY: MY SOUL TO TAKE

As much as I'd like to sit here and tell you all how brimmed with excitement I am for Wes Craven's new brainchild, My Soul To Take, I just can't lie to you.  My mother is a HUGE Wes Craven fan and was begging me to come home for a weekend so her and I could see it together, but I don't think the theatre could handle the amount of groaning and whining that would take place if I was to sit through this film in public.  Don't get me wrong, I haven't seen the film, and this very well could be the greatest thing that's ever been made, ever....but I just don't see it. I'll hold my tongue on what I'm expecting from this film, and instead focus my energy to something more fulfilling...like this hack of a one-sheet.

Today I'm feeling a bit spontaneous and have decided it would be best to work from the outside in, bottom up.  I'm not sure what these random lines of black on the harshly, bright, white background is supposed to signify, but it looks like someone gave Michael J. Fox a pen and told him to trace the outline of the page.  I don't know if they were going for scratches, or broken glass, but both options failed.  I think the poster would have been 100% more impacting had they left it pure white and let it absorb into its surroundings.  Now, it just looks like a bad pre-school cut-and-paste project

Question: When did it become apparently to list the entire fucking credits at the bottom of the poster?  My God, I'm pretty sure even the foley artist's name is listed at the bottom.  I understand people wanting their due, but this looks like a cluttered mess and takes up way too much of the poster.  Didn't anyone pay attention when they were learning "less is more"?  What's even worse is that they've spread everything out so wide that the letters are the EXACT same size as the tagline above it. 

Speaking of, why the hell is the tagline the same size as the credits?  Not only doesn't it make it ridiculously hard to distinguish what on the poster actually IS the tagline, but it makes it seem extremely unimportant.  While I think taglines can make/break a promotional campaign, it's at least important to give it SOME limelight.  Granted, I could understand completely why they didn't with this one.  "Only one has the power to save their souls"?  What the frack is this shit?  That sounds like something off of a pamphlet they give to de-cleanse homosexual children in the south.  I understand the religious message, but they already have religious messaging in the title, including it in the tagline is a bit overkill if you ask me.

Movin' on up, we see a photo that looks as if this photo from Last House on The Left and the poster for Dawn of the Dead '04 had a baby. You know, over the shoulder toughness mixed with legs that turn into CGI bleeding? Yeah, that.  This could have been pretty cool had it not look like it was colored in with a blow pen or a blatant rip-off of another poster.

Finally, we reach the top.  Wes Craven, I love you, but here's the thing...NEVER EVER EVER ATTACH YOUR NAME TO SOMETHING WITH 3-D IN THE TITLE. Let alone, make the font that big on the top to where it clutters the rest of the poster. There, I said it.

11 comment(s):

The Scream Queen said...

Agreed. This thing looks like a piece of crap and the poster bugs the fuck out of me for some reason.

Bring on Scream 4 ;o)

Andre said...

Speaking from someone who actually has this poster (in poster size) (don't judge me I won it and it's signed by Wes Craven himself!) This poster is actually pretty cool looking. Mostly only because the back of it is a creepy mirror image. Aside from the rest of the horribleness....this hidden secret of the poster is kind of bad ass sorry to say. Plus I mean, Wes Craven touched mine with his hand so you know..

Derek O'Brien said...

Maybe it's meant to be like a Magic Eye poster. If you stare at it long enough, you might see a good movie...

Bill said...

Okay, it's been over a year now pour moi, and you're probably the third or fourth most gorgeous creature on the face of the earth (which is neither here nor there, and sexist as well), but your "Terrible Poster" daze just vex me to no end. On your blog-page you've displayed zero (nada, bubpkus, goose-egg) in the way of quality design sensibilities. And to top it off your site is mucho glitchy. You open it up, it goes into a seizure (this is on at least half-a-dozen computers,in my experience, mind you), then press F-5 to refresh and Then I'm a Believer (or Womanizer). I mean, c'umon. Nut-up or shut-up, as the inimitable Woody Harrelson might say.

BJ-C said...

@Bill-I'm sorry you don't like it. To be quite honest, I've grown a bit weary of it as well. However, I will do what my fans and readers request and they love TPT. Gotta give the people what they want.


My site is glitchy because I use blogger, and blogger is a bitch.

Rabid Fox said...

*grunt* That is a lame poster. It does match the trailer, though. Maybe I'm alone on this, but I'm just not swayed by a film if the title is prefaced by "Wes Craven's". I dare say that man used up his last ounce of credibility with Wes Craven's New Nightmare.

Antonio D'Astoli said...

For me this is not a terrible poster at all: the lines under the characters are like a graphic interpretation of a soul (and who knows how a soul is made XD)...I think it's good enough and it's very different from the typical sheet of a teenager horror (see screa, final destination, I know what you did...and many more).
Cheers ;)

Lady Ash said...

Wow! That is hideous! It reminds me of the video to Yes's "Leave It."

Since the subject of the movie is supposed to be about "souls," you'd think that the poster would involve a dissolving shadow above those pictured. Or at least some other metaphor that is more relevant to someone's soul disappearing.

I don't know if I'm up for this movie. Wes Craven hasn't really done anything relevant since People Under the Stairs in my honest opinion.

Spooky Sean said...

Its utterly wretched, it is.

Spike Ghost said...

i like the logo in the middle, but it's true that the poster as a whole is shite. good analysis dear, good job :p

Spike Ghost said...

i wonder if you saw already the poster for Scream4, it's freaking awful too :O

Related Posts with Thumbnails