Sunday, October 3, 2010

BJ-C'S MOST BEAUTIFUL HORROR MOVIE SCORES

Now, I could very well have compiled a list of horror movie scores that were fun to listen to, scary as hell, or just plain bad-ass.  Instead, I decided to compile a list of horror movie scores that I find to be absolutely beautiful.  I have a multitude of friends currently majoring in Music Performance and Composition, and I love tricking them into believing horror movie scores are the work of some up and coming 21st century composers.  To help kick-start some of the Halloween celebrations, here's my list of what I feel are some of the most beautiful horror movie scores.





DRAG ME TO HELL: Christopher Young's Concerto to Hell


28 DAYS LATER: John Murphy's
In The House, In a Heartbeat


THEATRE OF BLOOD: Michael J. Lewis' Original Theme for Theatre of Blood



DEATH SMILED AT MURDER: Berto Pisano's Greta Theme

THE BEYOND: Fabio Frizzi's
The Voci Dal Nulla



CANDYMAN: Phillip Glass'
It Was Always You, Helen

PHANTASM: ORIGINAL THEME


THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS: HOWARD SHORE'S
ORIGINAL THEME

SUSPIRIA: GOBLIN'S
SUSPIRIA


DARIO ARGENTO'S OPERA: Main Theme Sung by Claudio Simonetti

LET THE RIGHT ONE IN: Johan Soderqvist's
Eli's Theme

7 comment(s):

John W. Morehead said...

We must have a generation gap. While I appreciate Phantasm's score, what about films like Alien, Psycho, and Horror of Dracula? These are beautiful and frightening at the same time.

Winona Olson said...

To me, the Goblin score of Suspiria took me out of the film. Too loud, too weird, too distracting. I guess that's part of the reason I'm one of only six people in the world who think Suspiria was not good at all. Also, how about Annie Lennox's Theme for a Vampire from the (also not good) FFC's Dracula? I watch it on YouTube once or twice a week, and it still gives me chills - not to mention making me tear up a bit (I'm a guy, BTW).

Patrick said...

I just found your site and i have to say, you fucking rock! i actually went out and bought the soundtrack to 28 days later after i watched a bootlegged copy right before it came out (i then watched it in theatres, so good) also, points for including the philip glass composed candyman soundtrack

Lady Ash Mistress of the Night said...

I am the proud owner of the limited edition two disc set of Suspiria that includes the soundtrack. It is a requirement to play it in October. Goblin is one of my favorite bands and I have a tendency to put Suspiria, Tenebre and Deep Red on repeat.

Christopher Young is an amazing composer. Hellraiser still remains my favorite CY piece.

Another favorite composer of mine is John Harrison. Creepshow remains a personal favorite. I get chills every time I listen to it.

Excellent choices BJ! I have a huge fondness for horror movie soundtracks. Ever since sound was first introduced to the movies music has been a vital part of the storytelling almost equal in importance to the images on the screen. This is especially important in a horror film.

Emily said...

Great picks. The Candyman score is one of my favorites, even if Philip Glass claimed he was hoodwinked into composing for a horror film.

Jana said...

I love the "28 Days Later" sndtrk. I listen to it all the time. Btw, I love your blog!!!!

jervaise brooke hamster said...

"AND YOU WILL FACE THE SEA OF DARKNESS AND ALL THERE-IN THAT MAY BE EXPLORED" (as we all must at some point obviously). Thank-you Lucio, you were a fucking genius.

Related Posts with Thumbnails