Thursday, September 16, 2010

WOMAN OF THE WEEK: KRISTY JETT

I usually try to make an honest effort to at least try and make the WotW feature about women I don't know personally.  However, I cannot hide it any longer in admitting that Kristy Jett is the true queen of the horror webosphere and one of the leading female voices within the horror fan community.  The extremely talented and passionate redhead from Rochester seems to have blown up this past year and truly raised the bar when it comes to social horror networking.

Recently retired from a decade of radio work, Kristy Jett lives the dream that every horror fangirl one day aspires to achieve.  A former contributor to Bloody-Disgusting, she now writes for Dread Central, TheDreaminDemon, Freddy In Space, It Goes to 11, and even Fangoria.  This coming fall she will actually be contributing pieces to the PUBLISHED work of Ax Wound as well as Paracinema magazines.  One of her lesser known, but more fun contributions is the horror chat commentary episodes (that I even get to participate in!) called Push Up Your Horror Nerd Glasses.

She's also the undisputed "First Lady of Filth" for The Blood Sprayer.  She acts not just as a contributing author, but also an editor as well as a talent scout of sorts by locating writing talent for the website.

Most notably, she is the feisty woman working for Fright-Rags.  As a powerhouse at promotions and shirt sellings, Kristy has been flooding the facebook waves with horror news and Fright-Rags goodies for months now.  I cannot even begin to tell you the huge craze she helped fuel with their Team David/Anti-Twilight t-shirt.

If you live in the NY/New England area, it's nearly impossible to go to a film festival or a horror convention and NOT see Kristy Jett hanging around, chumming it up with horror idols and putting a smile on just about everyone's face who comes within a 100yd radius to her.  Not only is Kristy ridiculously talented at writing, networking, and spreading the love of the horror word, but she's also one of the most selfless people I've ever come to know.  Kristy isn't one of those people who keeps her connections and her talents to herself, she's a professional bleeding heart and is willing to help absolutely anyone and everyone she deems worthy.  On a personal note, I wouldn't know half the people I do know if it wasn't for her, and I wouldn't nearly be as involved in the horror community to the extent I am without her.

She's an absolutely incredible individual with one of the biggest hearts I've ever seen, and she by far epitomizes what it means to be a woman in the horror community.  I salute you Kristy Jett for all that you do, and thank you for your countless contributions to making the woman's voice heard a little bit louder.

To read more about Kristy and get to know her a little better, read her personal blog

13 comment(s):

Scare Sarah said...

A fitting tribute to an awesome girl. She really is living the dream. I'm off to her blog right away.

Christine Hadden said...

I too, am indebted to Kristy for so many reasons. She is a resounding voice in the horror community and those of us who are close to her have to be some of the luckiest people in the world! She is the most selfless person I know.

Frankly, I don't know how she does everything she does, but obviously she is a force of nature.

Excellent idea to focus on Ms. Jett - she is most deserving!

Pax Romano said...

Kristy Jett? Never heard of her. ;)

Planet of Terror said...

Great write-up. Kristy is my new favorite horror friend of 2010.

BP said...

Excellent!

KRRRRRRRIIIIIISSSSTYYYYYY

Geof said...

I Heart Kristy Jett and that's all I have to say. Credentials aside, she could be a street sweeper and I'd love her the same.

And for the record, she is the only person EVER to make me smile when I had a hangover. That speaks bounds.

Emily said...

Huzzah for Kristy! Can't wait to finally steal a cuddle at Rock 'n Shock and HorrorHound!

The Mike said...

To quote Joe "Bean" Esposito: "She's the best! Around! Nothin's ever gonna bring her down!"

Or somethin' like that.

Strange Kid said...

I've heard of this "Kristy Jett" person, but... who is she again? Haha, just kidding, you know you're my girl KJ!

Kristy has certainly been making the rounds these days and with all of the awesome stuff she's doing in the genre there's little wonder why. Long live the "First Lady of Filth!"

B-Sol said...

Here, here! Kristy is indeed the proverbial cat's pajamas :-) Looking forward to basking in her presence at the Hudson Horror Show in November!

Captain said...

being a "newb" to the scene Kristy has essentially been someone for me to watch, admire, and sit back in awe at her domination of the web. You work it girl.

Anonymous said...

I heart Kristy Jett! Jamie Lee Curtis is hot, but the hottest scream queen is KJ. Smart, funny & did I mention hotter than an oven...?

Kid Sis said...

Yaaaay Kristy!

Related Posts with Thumbnails