Thursday, August 5, 2010

IMAGES OF SMILING IN HORROR FILMS

It seems that it's awards season and meme-season in the blogosphere.  While I don't want to instigate a circle jerk amongst bloggers (sorry versatile blogger award...), I am supporting of all things meme related as it gives content for our readers outside of "HERE'S 15 SUPER FUN FACTS ABOUT ME THAT YOU LIKE PROBABLY KNOW FROM READING MY FACEBOOKS!".  That being said, this meme is entirely image based and is supposed to capture certain staples within horror films. bloggers are urged to come up with a series of screen grabs, all focusing on a specific theme. The whole thing was kicked off a little while back over at the blog Checking on My Sausages, but this meme was bestowed upon me by noneother than my Obi-Wan himself, B-Sol of The Vault of Horror.


For my theme, I've chosen smiling in horror films. While it may seem like I'm taking an easy way out by showcasing something "happy", I think smiling in horror films is one of the more unsettling aspects.  There's something ridiculously creepy about being in a terrible situation and knowing someone is smiling about it.  That being said, here are my selections for the image meme.

The Lost Boys (1987)
The Dark Knight (2008) *not exactly horror, but just as creepy*
The Devil's Rejects (2005)
The Silence of The Lambs (1991)
Near Dark (1987)
The Man Who Laughs (1928)
Scanners (1981)
The Exorcist (1973)
Suspiria (1977)
The Return of the Living Dead (1985)
Evil Dead II (1987)
Stephen King's "IT" (1990)
Fright Night (1985)
American Psycho (2000)
Freaks (1932)
The Evil Dead (1981)
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Psycho (1960)



Now as requested, I must tag 5 other bloggers to fulfill the massive syphilis like spreading of this meme. Pikachu, I choose you!

1) Billy Loves Stu
2) The Deadly Doll's House of Horror Nonsense
3) Chuck Norris Ate My Baby
4) The Paradise of Horror
5) The Person You Benefit From Knowing

15 comment(s):

Spike Ghost said...

i think that's an awesome idea :D
if i knew how to put images on deviantArt, i would steal this from you (and of course credit you) :D

kindertrauma said...

Ack! You got me right where I live BJ-C! Truly horrifying!-Unk

Emily said...

Damnit! More syphilis!

1. Is it wrong to find Chris Sarandon extremely sexy?

2. I shall fulfill my duty be next week.

B-Sol said...

Nicely done. Love that Paxton one from Near Dark.

Living Dead Girl Nicole said...

Great post idea! Great choices also!!

Matt-suzaka said...

Now this is a worth while meme. Thanks for including me and I shall come up with something to make you very proud. Your picks are spot on, by the way, and that chick in the Evil Dead always scared the shit out of me.

Pax Romano said...

One of us! One of Us! One of us! One of us!

C.L. Hadden said...

That GD clown from IT does it to me every time! Yikes.

Stephen said...

Cool.

That Psycho one is great. I didn't remember 'her' smiling.

These smiles make them seem unhinged. They are also scary I suppose because the person they are smiling at is normally feeling terror while they're happy.

JennyB said...

Great post! http://memoirsofascreamqueen.blogspot.com/

Adam Barnick said...

Recent convert to this blog, and serious kudos for your writing! I'm glad I'm not the only one who's traumatized by grins. That image from The Man Who Laughs is, I think, what started this fear personally. I'd also nominate practically every David Lynch film for making smiles uncanny and nightmarish. Eraserhead and Twin Peaks being the prime examples. brrr!

-AB

Fred [The Wolf] said...

Love these creepy smiles in horror. Great post!

蕾蕾 said...

Every moment of resistance to temptation is a victory.............................................................

Emily said...

Bam! http://deadlydollshouse.blogspot.com/2010/08/doll-face-meme.html

The Floating Red Couch said...

I like this Fright Night smile better

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_f4G3TFLiAQ4/TGCALiwl8UI/AAAAAAAACOI/svVLYJ1Sp0I/s400/frightnight+amanda+bearse.jpg

Oh yeah, that's Amanda Bearse

Related Posts with Thumbnails