Monday, August 23, 2010

THE GREATEST CULT FILMS OF THE 1970's

One of the coolest guys out there, The Mike of From Midnight, With Love has graced many horror journalists the world over to come up with five of our Most Essential Cult Movies of the 1970's.  While horror is surely my forte, I would be lying if I didn't confess my undying love for all things campy and feathered.  The challenge is to do a top 5 list, and trying to assemble all of my love for 70's cult films into just 5 was EXTREMELY difficult. That being said, here are my top 5.

05) BEYOND THE VALLEY OF THE DOLLS
One of the most "schlocking" films of its time, Russ Meyer roundhouse kicked down the bar of going over the top with the now infamous sequel.  Following The Kelly Affair (later the Carrie Nations), a overhyped femme rock band, on their route to Los Angeles to track down Kelly's estranged aunt.  On the way they run into rock mogul Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzel and are thrust into the rock and roll lifestyle of raunchy sexual experimentations, drugs up the ying yang, and partying like it's 1999.  The film is ridiculously tasteless and yet I could watch it every day of my life.  Thanks, Roger Ebert
04) I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE/DAY OF THE WOMAN
It goes without saying that ISOYG/DOTW is one of my favorite films of all time.  Rape/Revenge aside, ISOYG/DOTW has gained a cult-like status of near epic proportions, but unfortunately finds itself amongst the ranks of other upcoming watered down and tragically remade horror classics.  I still have my fingers crossed for it to not totally suck, but I'm not holding my breath.
03) DAUGHTERS OF DARKNESS
This is by far the biggest cock-tease of any lesbian vampire movie of the 1970's.  It really doesn't get much better though.  The movie is incredibly sadistic and chock full of sexual tension, but never gives a straight up scene of using thighs as earmuffs.  Most people see it as a let down, but I find it to be an extremely effective tool.  I love this movie, and you should too.



02) SUSPIRIA
That video is the reason why. Enough said.

01) THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW
If anyone out there assumed I'd pick anything other than this, they clearly haven't been paying attention to anything in the past two years.  I'm obsessed with RHPS, but the best part is that I'm in good company.  Unconventional conventionalists travel along in packs to spread the love for Rocky Horror even today, 35 years later.  It is THE granddaddy of all cult films, and there's absolutely NOTHING that can even come close to its magnitude of brilliance. 

11 comment(s):

Fred [The Wolf] said...

Great list! I can't see any film other than ROCKY HORROR being number one. That's just the epitome of a cult classic.

Love SUSPIRIA. I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE is an experience. BEYOND THE VALLEY OF THE DOLLS is schlock-fest, but a fun schlock-fest.

Never heard of DAUGHTERS OF DARKNESS but anything with lesbians and/or vampires gets my undivided attention.

TrG said...

Good list. So hard to disagree with that I will split a hair for fun...

The best scene in Suspiria is when Sara jumps into the razor wire.

It's like choosing between your children, but, still ... she jumped into fucking razor wire ... and got stuck there for like minutes.

I also love how none of the girls think to simply leave the school.

God I love that movie.

Liam [Less Than Three Film] said...

Excellent list! I've only seen two of them (scandalous I know), but do plan on getting around to watching the others soon - especially Beyond the Valley of the Dolls.

This list-making exercise and the fantastic contribution by all is rapidly expanding my list of films I need to see.

The Mike said...

Thanks so much for joining the party, BJ-C! I've been hunting for Daughters of Darkness for a while, might have to bump it up my list presently!

And you can't go wrong with those top two picks!

Joe Monster said...

Killer list, BJ-C! And a high five for putting RHPS in the top spot. Everyone should have a movie that includes a hunting lodge for rich weirdos in their countdown of cult films. =)

Pax Romano said...

Your choices only prove what I have said about you...love ya kid!

dfordoom said...

I agree with all of your choices, except for Rocky Horror Picture Show which has never done anything for me. Beyond the Valley of the Dolls and Daughters of Darkness are movies I can watch over and over again.

Rabid Fox said...

I thought as soon as I clicked on the link on my blogroll: she's got Rocky Horror Picture Show. #1, no less. Nicely played. And I must sadly confess to seeing only that movie from the list.

MsEmJ said...

Great to see Beyond the Valley of the Dolls up there. An implausible plot, rock music, decapitation, and big boobs. What more could one ask for?

iZombie said...

Greetings HBA Member,
With the recent attention to the Horror Blogger Alliance and updates, I thought would be good to build a database for [over 350] the group.

For More Info: http://horrorbloggeralliance.blogspot.com/2010/08/i-am-getting-our-affairs-in-order.html

Please Update Soon... and if you have updated your information, please disregard.

Thanks,
Jeremy [iZombie]
HBA Staff
jeremy@jmhdigital.com

oducerproducer said...

I picked RHPS as my number one aswell!

Related Posts with Thumbnails