Monday, July 5, 2010

TUNES OF THE UNDEAD: ZOMBIE MUSIC

Since I'm a crazed lover of all things gimmicky, I figured I could add another one to the ranks of things that I don't have the time to keep up with ;) Just kidding, my schedule just opened WAY up, and I finally have time to do some work. If there ends up being a mass amount of posting in the next day or so, you have been warned. NOW, onto the new festivities that will be occurring here on DotW. I'm not sure if you remember WAY back in the day (so...last year) but I wanted to do something to showcase different local bands by having them sit through horror movies with me as a repayal for shamelessly promoting them here on DotW. Clearly, that concept fell through as bands are constantly touring and don't exactly have the time to hang out with lil' ol' me. I've decided that I still want to throw out some sweet horror themed jams at you folks with the stress on either "lesser known" or local artists. I know that anyone could just look up some Rob Zombie or the Misfits and find themselves a zombie song, but there are so many artists out there deserving some attention from all different genres. I'm not going to ram a bunch of hardcore unknowns down your throat, I promise I'll include music for all walks of life.

ROISON MURPHY: Ramalama Bang Bang
Her popular tune was featured on a season of So You Think You Can Dance with the ensemble cast decked out in Victorian zombie attire. The song has a twisted beat and an intriguing sound to it, but when you really listen to the lyrics...it's all zombie, baby.
LISTEN TO IT HERE
SUFJAN STEVENS: They Are Night Zombies!!!
If you're sick and tired of the heavily riffing guitars and the amps that go up to 11, Sufjan Stevens can be for you. A little indie darling with lyrical prowess, he puts the words about zombies into a tune so cute you could clean your room to it. I also hope you notice the chant at the beginning, they're spelling out I-L-L-I-N-O-I-S.
LISTEN TO IT HERE
BAMF!: Ska Zombie
When hardcore music and ska music combine, I firmly believe it is the equivalent of the stars aligning. An up-and-coming band from St. Louis, BAMF! delivers a hell of a fun punch with this tune. They're actually on tour right now, so check out their myspace (the link below) and try to catch a show to hear this song live!
LISTEN TO THE SONG HERE
PHANTOM PLANET: The Living Dead
Chances are, you've heard Phantom Planet but never even knew it. Made famous for their single "California" which was turned into the theme song to the O.C. , PP actually has a much different sound than what most of society has heard. They take a much rasher sound with this one.
LISTEN TO IT HERE
NO MORE KINGS: Zombie Me
So imagine the dilemma of being a zombie fan who loves to listen Jason Mraz. Fret no more soft rock zombie fan, No More Kings has the answer to your prayers. In a very, very obvious tribute to our undead friends, NMK shows that you don't have to be screaming at the top of your lungs to appreciate the living dead.
LISTEN HERE
DR. MANHATTAN: Biscuits and Groovy
I'll be completely honest, to this day, I still have no idea what the hell they're talking about in this song...or any of their songs. Dr. Manhattan delivers one of the most interesting shows (that's putting it lightly) that one could sit through. However, this sound of a throwback has one of the best "breakdowns" I've heard for a song of its caliber. Imagine an entire crowd of people with flashlights taped to their glasses singing "I am a zombie from Mozambique"
LISTEN TO IT HERE
OINGO BOINGO: No One Lives Forever
I'm in absolute shock to admit how many people have never heard an Oingo Boingo song. Otherwise known as "that dude's band who writes all the music for Tim Burton", Oingo Boingo's music is absolutely flooding with horror references. While I could have put Dead Man's Party on here, No One Lives Forever is my favorite.
LISTEN TO IT HERE
JOHN LENNON AND VINCENT PRICE: IMAGINE THE THRILLER
Oh yeah, this just happened.
LISTEN TO IT HERE


Of course there are hundreds of thousands of other songs that weren't included, so feel free to type up your favorites in the comment section.
Peace, Love, & Brains

4 comment(s):

Kristi Dorson said...

It would be criminal to leave out the lovely and ever-entertaining Leslie Hall and her entertaining "Zombie Killer". Most people familiar with it know the version with Elvira (yes, Mistress of the Dark), but I prefer the original version with the "Shoot them in the brains, even the little kids" lyric. ;) Either way, Leslie's pretty awesome, and sometimes I wish I were her.

eTxZombie said...

While not as zombie-esque as the previous suggestions, I thought this would make a good addition to any music lovers collection

POlkadot Cadaver - Chloroform Girl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2r4HE29qSs

gord said...

Oingo Boingo fucking rocks. And I too and surprised at how not only do many of my friends have no idea who they are, but the public at large seems to have no idea of who they are. A real travesty.

Living Dead Girl Nicole said...

Walk Like a Zombie by the HorrorPops!! I just adore that song!

Related Posts with Thumbnails