Sunday, May 9, 2010

A Letter to My Mother

Dear Mommy,

Today I could have celebrated Mother's Day with the horror blogosphere by posting youtube videos, creating lists, or putting up a funny picture of a crazy movie mom, along with some witty banter. Instead, I have chosen to show my closest comrades just how much my Mommy means to me. If it wasn't for you there would be no blog, no new friends, and no BJ-C. You inspired me to do what I want, when I want to, and how I want to, and it has truly molded me into the person I am today. I felt today was only necessary that I thank you for everything you've truly done for me.

Thank-you for showing me horror movies as a young child. I know it must have been difficult sitting at home with a 2 year old while the rest of your friends were out partying, but knowing a horror movie wasn't going to "kill" me as a child, is one of the greatest things you could have ever done for me. I'm not saying I wouldn't have loved the genre without it, but I am saying that it was the first example of your open mind towards different ways of life.

Thank-you for letting me do pageants and signing me up for baton twirling. I wasn't ever a girly girl, but I understood at a young age that I loved to be center stage. If it wasn't for these two life-altering events. I cannot begin to fathom the type of person I would have ended up. Pageantry taught me the importance of self-pride and developed my ability to speak in front of large audiences, while baton twirling gave me a new family and instilled the importance of dedication and hard work.

Thank-you for not hating my "goth" stage. I know fishnets and combat boots weren't exactly your cup of tea, but it was the one time of my life that I completely attribute to my confidence and my willingness to be myself to my outer appearance. I was judged instantly by my pink hair and it forced me to work twice as hard to be seen as a successful person despite my choice of dress. Without that stage in my life, I would be more apt to be do what is expected, rather than what I am passionate about.

Thank-you for not being ashamed of my blog. A politician's daughter and pageant queen wouldn't be the first person to be open about their love of zombies and ghosts, but there are always exceptions. With our family being in such a public eye already, it means a lot to me that you didn't try to censor me to seek approval of the rest of the world.

When it comes down to it, you're my Mommy and I love you. Happy Mother's Day.

2 comment(s):

Christopher Zenga said...

This was a wonderful, wondeful, tribute to your mother. I went with the "emerge from a vagina" joke, but this is WAY classier.
Later days ( and a big undead high 5 to your Mom)

Chris.

B-Sol said...

Horrifically heartwarming, and perfectly said. I'm grateful for my horror momma too--here's to cool parents!

Related Posts with Thumbnails