Saturday, February 20, 2010

DAY OF THE WOMAN'S YEAR IN REVIEW: A TRIBUTE.

I've always found it necessary at the end of a year to reminisce on the events that took place to better drill it into my memory. What started out as an outlet for my frustrations with a failing relationship, a way to write something that wasn't a required literature essay, and an excuse to seduce nerdy horror fan boys the world over, has become one of (if not the) most important thing in my life.

For as long as I can remember, horror has been such a large part of my life. My mother and I couldn't wait until October for AMC to start playing the Halloween films, my dad would perfect his Jason scaring techniques for the haunted hayride, and scaring away the mean kids on the playground by quoting witchcraft spells I learned from movies. In the simplest terms...horror has been the most consistent thing in my life.Some people have heard this story before, but others don't. If it wasn't for a certain penis having teenage "girl" serial killer, DotW wouldn't even exist. B-Sol of The Vault of Horror writes the Top 10 lists for Bloody-Disgusting.com. It was THIS EXACT LIST that is the single reason that I started blogging. You see after 2 pages of people bitching and moaning about how awful his list was, I left a comment exclaiming that his use of "Curling Iron" as the weapon of choice for Angela Baker in Sleepaway Camp was incredibly hilarious and that it made me spit diet coke. It was that random act of kindness that inspired B-Sol to send me a message and we become cyber-horror-buds. I had exclaimed my interest in writing a female-centric horror blog and he was the biggest of my big helps in getting it off the ground. So when I say if it wasn't for B-Sol that DotW wouldn't be around...I mean it.A few months into the blog, I wrote a post that is still my most widely accessed and plugged entry. The Top Zombie Women. (yes, pictures are missing...it was before i figured out how to do it right). Ever since that post aired, my blog seemed to explode. My love of women and my love of zombies totally won over DotW for a lot of big wigs.Speaking of Big-Wigs. Somehow, someway, I got into the League of Tana Tea Drinkers as an early suggestion. My blog was barely four months old...but I got in. :) I cannot even tell you the honor I felt when I saw an email from John saying "Welcome BJ-C to the LoTT-D...Pinkies out". I'll be honest, I almost cried.


This blog has given me the opportunity to get in contact with some of my idols that I never would have ever gotten the chance to speak to without DotW. Amber Steele of the Living Dead Girlz did an interview with me and I was even blessed enough to get a reply email from the one. the only. BRUCE CAMPBELL. Granted, it was like a paragraph....BUT ITS BRUCE FUCKING CAMPBELL.

Here we are now, a year later...and words cannot even begin to describe how I feel. I now write for Bloody-Disgusting, HorrorSociety, and today I'm bringing you something I've been working on for a bit. It still has some work to be done with it...but today I'm launching something absolutely wonderful for you all.


Click the picture...and join in on the fun.


Thank you all for the most memorable year of my life (so far). Keep scaring, keep reading, and keep on keepin' on.

Peace, Love, & Brains.

~BJ-C

5 comment(s):

Chuck Conry said...

Congratulations on all your success! I'm sure more is to come.

forestofthedead said...

Congrats. You are an amazingly talented blogger, I look forward to the next year. :)

B-Sol said...

Memorieeeees... And to think, all these months later and my lists still draw the vitriol of the B-D faithful!

Proud to have played a part in unleashing DotW on the world. It's alive! It's alive!
Here's to many more years ;-)

badgerdaddy said...

Your heroes list made me want to name-drop some of the folks I've interviewed over the years! Isn't it great when your heroes aren't arseholes?

CSY said...

Congrats, Honey1 You're AWESOME! I LOVE reading your blog. I know I don't comment much, but I do read you every (ok, not on the weekends, but that's cuz I'm SUPER lazy)day!

Related Posts with Thumbnails