Tuesday, January 19, 2010

A MESSAGE TO THE HORROR BLOGGING COMMUNITY: STOP TALKING SMACK

Hello there Womanizers, it's BJ-C here and I've brought to you (what was a vlog until blogger decided uploading wasn't on its list of things to do today) a bit of a rant. Now before you all start jumping up in excitement over a good ol' fashioned Twatlight bash or some shit talking on Megan Fox...you might want to be sitting down. I have to be honest and clear.

The horror blogging community is something that I hold very near and dear to my heart. The people I associate with or "work" with are some people that I trust and care more about than people I see on a day-to-day basis. You all get me on a level that many people don't fully understand, and you keep me entertained day in and day out. You've shown me that there ARE people in this world with passion for what they love and I respect you people more than I respect most people I have daily contact with. I thank you for what you do and who you are and the work you create.

HOWEVER...and its a big however

There has been some completely unnecessary animosity and an overabundance of hostility between the community lately and I will NOT stand for it.

It all started with the Ms. Horrorblogosphere competition. First, there were people bashing on B-Sol for starting the contest. Not only did they bash him for starting it, but they brought up things on a personal level; including his wife and family. That's absolute bullshit. As the daughter of a politician and someone who has been brought up when I've had NOTHING to do with the situation at hand, I can tell you that there is nothing more disrespectful than bringing up personal issues as ammo in an arguement. Then, there were people who bashed the contestants who competed. Just because you disagree with what someone is doing, does NOT give you the right to bash on them. Don't hate the player, hate the game. Remember? Something that I really don't want to bring up, but I will...is the fact that people talked very poorly about me after the competition ended. Yes, there were hearty congratulations and I appreciate them very much...but the twitter comments talking about how I don't deserve something were very unappreciated. It really hurt me to know that people I care so much about could get so wrapped in an INTERNET competition that they would take to a public outlet to express their frustrations. If you're discreet about something, I could care less...but when you actually use my name...I have an issue.

Now we have the debate on Total Film vs. Bloody-Disgusting. I don't care if you have some personal vengeance against them or something...that doesn't mean you can talk shit about something they're doing that is POSITIVE. They may be the "big bad website", but lets face it. In this world, they are Wal-Mart, and we are Ma & Pa's grocery store. Get over it, its a fact of life. Moving on from that, they DO support horror blogs and always have. A good chunk of my hits come from their links to my blog when I help B-Sol do top 10 lists for them. They're trying to help us out man, quit biting the hand that feeds.

Then we have horrorblips. Seriously, its a link ranking website. Stop getting your panties in a bunch because "so and so beat me and they're not as good" blah blah blah. It's a site that ranks us by how often we're linked by other blogs on horrorblips. It in NO WAY ranks you by your quality or your popularity amongst the general public. It seems that it always has to be about "ME". WE as a horror community overtook the 5 powerhouse websites and instead of being happy for the little guys...we bitch that we aren't ranked higher. Seriously?

I don't know if its the time of the season or what have you, but this internet drama has got to stop. Let's be nice, support each other, and grow up.

Peace, Love, & Brains
~BJ-C


16 comment(s):

Anonymous said...

Speak up, Pot. I'm not sure Kettle heard you.

Anonymous said...

I never said I wasn't guilty of it myself. There's a reason I use words like we and let's.

B-Sol said...

Well said, and good advice we should all take to heart! Thanks for speaking up.

Wow, we've been getting all weighty and sober with our posts lately, I think I feel a Top 10 Dick Jokes list coming on...

B-Sol said...

And for the record, Anonymous #1, if you're going to make a statement like that, at least don't hide your identity. Dirty pool, old boy.

Big Daddy D-Bone said...

Clearly the only way to rectify the Ms. Horor Blogosphere thing is to have a Mr. Horror Blogosphere contest. Except instead of judging on blog quality we should judge on all the things that B-Sol was accused of promoting (promiscuity mainly). Who knows? Maybe in the end we could get one of the ugliest Chippendales calendar out of it.

Theron said...

Thoughtful and well stated. Thanks for speaking my mind!

Matt-suzaka said...

I don't blame you for getting your undies in a bunch over people trashing you for winning the contest...that's a bunch of unfair bullshit, but the rest of the drama shit is just that, shit. I think the internet drama is kinda cute. I love to read it, but I could really care less about it and I will never let anything like any of that shit filter into my blog. People are spending too much time dwelling on stuff that has absolutely nothing to do with movies. We should all just hang out on the IMDB boards.

Planet of Terror said...

As the saying goes, you graduate from high school but you never really graduate from high school. Good points all around BJ-C but in the end, most of this bashing by half-wits is probably rooted in jealousy. That and some probably did not get hugged enough as a child.

Gore-Gore Girl said...

I still don't understand the beef - I've tried to track it all down, honest. Can someone explain what people had a problem with re: the competition, and then re: the choice of winner?

Andre said...

Well said! When you said your vlogger wasn't working I was saddened because I wanted it to see this right then and there-- but even if I had to wait an extra day or two I am glad to have read it and nod my head incessantly on the other end!

Matt- thanks for using the word undies and not the dreaded "P" word! I despise it so.

-Chris Bennett- said...

It's unfortunate that people have to get caught up in the unimportant, and ultimately forget why we do what we do.

I love horror movies. I read these blogs (as well as not-so-regularly maintain my own blog) because I enjoy interacting with others regarding horror movies.

Let's not forget why we are here. The horror blogging COMMUNITY is supposed to be a safe, fun place. There should be no targets, no name-calling. The biggest disputes we should have are why X didn't top the Best of 20XX list on so-and-so's blog...

BJ-C and B-Sol, you guys are exemplars in the art of the blogging community. Keep doing what you are doing. People will continue to read what you have to say. People will continue to hold you in high regard.

oh, before I forget, Anonymous #1, would it kill you to own that comment...

Steve said...

I have wanted to say so much on this subject recently, but as someone so capable of "putting their foot in it" I've kept quiet... so I'm just going to thank you for this post.

Excellent post... Thank You!

Pax Romano said...

Wow, all of this horror blogging controversy puts things like the earth quake in Haiti into perspective, doesn't it?

Lighten up kids, it's just the internet.

Oh, and well said, BJ, once again, you made your "Poppa" proud.

Anonymous said...

That's really cool, everything you said is true! I'm not a blogger but I read a lot of the horror blogs looking for good movies to see and that last idiotic self-created tempest really turned me off to a few blogs I like checking out occasionally. As a gay man who ISN'T here to check out all the "hot horror chick bloggers", a lot of that nastiness seemed fueled by gender-identity crises. That, and the fact that a lot of people are very daring/combative when masked in online anonymity! I have no cool nickname or Internet Identity so I'll just sign this, Robz Ombie. Oh, and P S: Zombieland was the best movie (horror or otherwise)I've seen in ages!

Ms Harker said...

Here, here Ms BJ-C. I had a similar rant on the weekend www.musingcontinuum.com .I am getting so tired of the moaning and the perceived injustices when really, the aim of what we do is to share our favourite genre and have some shits and giggles? Am I right? However the point made about Mr Horror Blogosphere is a good one, B-Sol in a thong could be a great picture for this years Christmas cards?

Regina Reese said...

I came across this blog by mistake. I love horror films, so I added it to my reader. Interesting post. Thanks for blogging. Keep up the great work.

Related Posts with Thumbnails