Tuesday, December 22, 2009

WHY HORROR FILMS AND VACATIONS GO TOGETHER LIKE RAMALAMALAMA KADINGIDY DING DE DONG

As you read yesterday, I'm currently on a much needed vacation in the Sunshine state with my family. So it got me to thinking, there are a TON of horror films that take place on vacations. Sometimes it's a spring break adventure, sometimes its a sneak away to a summer cabin, and sometimes...it's just for the hell of it. So I've compiled a list of places that seem to be all about the scares and such when all we really want to do is RELAX.

TOURIST ATTRACTIONS

You know when there's a sign on the side of the road that tells you to come see it because it'll be the last time you'll ever see anything like it? Well there is a good chance it's because it'll be the last thing you'll ever see. I hate tourist attractions. SO MUCH. They're pointless, they take time off of your trip, and they aren't ever as cool as their ads would let you believe. My personal suggestions? 2001 Maniacs, House of Wax, Tourist Trap, Catacombs.
THE WOODS

I'm not what some will call the "outdoors type". I'm all for fun in the wilderness and such but when it comes to a vacation, I'm more afraid of the woods than anything. If you've ever sat around a campfire and heard the ten BILLION scary stories that originate with "It was a dark, cold, night in this very forest..." then you know exactly what I'm talking about. Scary stories aside, the film industry has given me MANY MANY a reasons as to why the woods just aren't my cup of tea when it comes to vacation. My personal suggestions? Cabin Fever, Wrong Turn, The Blair Witch Project, Deliverance, Shrooms, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and The Evil Dead
SUMMER CAMPS

I'll be honest, I've never really seen the appeal of a summer camp. It just seemed like a way for your parents to get rid of you for 3 months with added macaroni noodle crafts and annoying campfire songs. You're far away from civilization, you're stuck with kids you don't know all that well, and you sleep in a room with about 10 other people...yes. That's exactly how I want to spend my only freedom from school. SIKE. I'd rather put mouthwash in my eyes. Not only do you have to worry about that nonsense but then there's always that fear of a serial killer walking amongst you. I'll pass. My personal suggestions? Sleepaway Camp, Friday the 13th, Madmen, Summer Camp Nightmare, Camp Blood, Ceasar & Otto's Summer Camp Massacre.
THE BEACH

I'm pretty sure I don't have to explain this one for you. For those of you without common sense...THERE ARE THINGS LIVING IN THE WATER THAT YOU CANNOT SEE THAT WANT TO EAT YOU FOR DINNER! My personal suggestions? Creature from the Black Lagoon, Jaws, Piranha, Open Water, Anaconda, Below, and Orca.
FOREIGN LAND

I was going to say Eastern Europe or places of the sort but that takes away a ton of other awesome films that show what happens when you go on a foreign vacation. There's a reason my vacations stick to visiting family in other parts of the country. I just know if I went overseas for a vacation I'd end up on a milk carton or something. That's just my luck. My personal suggestions? Hostel, Turistas, The Ruins, Cannibal Holocaust, The Descent, Wolf Creek
HOTELS

Hotels normally only freak me out if the people next door are getting a little out of control and a little freakier than I would like them to be. However, the film industry has made it very clear that hotels can be scary places to be. My personal suggestions? The Shining, Identity, Vacancy, Motel Hell, 1408, and Psycho

2 comment(s):

bilal said...

Sweetness.

Real State in Costa Rica said...

I like to read this kind of things, I enjoyed your blog, thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails