Friday, December 18, 2009

A letter to Dan O'Bannon



Dear Dan O'Bannon,

You don't know me, but I know you. Sort of. My name is Brittney-Jade and I'm a HUGE fan of your work. I never knew you personally, but I am writing you to thank you for being a major part of my growing up and to tell you that your work truly helped shape the person I am today.

The first piece of your work I witnessed was Star Wars. Granted, you didn't play all that major of a role in the production of what I will call the movie that opened me up to cinema...it doesn't matter. Your hands touched a part of a film that IS the reason I go to the movies. I remember wanted to be a Jedi more than anything in the world as a child, and you helped create the special effects that dazzled me and will continue to blow my mind for the rest of my existence.

After my stint with the Dark Side, I found myself on a science-fiction kick. It was shortly after that I got a hold of a copy of Dark Star. I had recognized Carpenter from Halloween but I had no idea who this O'Bannon guy was. I checked the back of the box and found his name all over it along with Carpenter. The film was not only a science fiction geek's dream, but it had this tongue-in-cheek aura around it that made it all the more enjoyable. Thank-you for pairing up with Hill's right hand man and creating a film that I will cherish forever.

I'll never forget the day I saw Alien for the first time. You had no money, no home, and yet wrote one of the greatest films I've ever witnessed. The screenplay for Alien is one of the most fantastic and mind blowing stories ever put on the silver screen. The characters you gave life, both real and supernatural have become truly iconic. Lieutenant Ellen Ripley is a character I've admired since I was a little girl and who has inspired me to be a strong willed woman in everything that I do. The Alien itself, and those damn face huggers haunted my nightmares as a child, but gave me one of the fondest memories of hiding underneath the covers after I had snuck out of bed to watch the late night scary movies my parents knew I was watching from the stairs.
However, it was your directorial masterpiece The Return of the Living Dead that I feel has honestly effected me in the most dramatic way. The Tarman is one of the most horrifying creatures (although hilarious IMO), Trash put more horror nerds through puberty than any other woman, and we wouldn't ever have BRAAAAAINS without you. You are legendary and the horror genre wouldn't be what it was without you. You left us too soon. But I want you to know that you aren't forgotten, and will be always remembered and cherished.

Love Always,

Brittney-Jade Colangelo

4 comment(s):

ZOMBIE HAYES said...

Wow...couldn't have said it better myself. ROTLD is my favorite zombie film of all time. Sorry George, your masterpiece comes in a close second!

B-Sol said...

Fantastic. And I had never even considered it, but O'Bannon is indeed the man who came up with the concept of zombies eating brains!
I share your pain on this one. Quite a loss....

Planet of Terror said...

I think he should also get more recognition for Dead and Buried. Such an underappreciated film.

Great post. R.I.P.

sportytechie said...

One of my most favorite film of all time!

Related Posts with Thumbnails