Thursday, November 26, 2009

THE UNCANNY WOMEN OF BORIS KARLOFF

As part of the Boris Karloff Blogathon, hosted by Pierre Fournier of Frankensteinia. I figured I'd give Ol' William Henry Pratt some recognition as far as how he wooed us women. With his swooning lispy voice and the back problems I'm sure any of us women would have died to rub out (hold your comments Office fans). I honesly love everything about Boris Karloff, despite playing such spooktacular characters, Karloff was known in real life as a very kind gentleman who gave generously, especially to children's charities. Beginning in 1940, Karloff dressed up as Santa Claus every Christmas to hand out presents to physically disabled children in a Baltimore hospital. If being a horror icon and a philanthropist doesn't win your heart...I don't know what will. Boris has charmed many a women off screen, but I want to direct you to some of my favorite women that got to share some screen time with the Father of Frankenstein's Monster.

MAE CLARKE IN FRANKENSTEIN

GLORIA STUART IN THE OLD DARK HOUSE
HAZEL COURT IN THE RAVEN
GALE GARNETT IN MAD MONSTER PARTYZITA JOHANN IN THE MUMMY
LUCILLE LUND IN THE BLACK CAT
CINDY LOU WHO IN HOW THE GRINCH STOLE CHRISTMAS!MYRNA LOY IN THE MASK OF FU MANCHU

&& of course
ELSA LANCHESTER IN THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN



3 comment(s):

B-Sol said...

What a terrific bunch of pix! Myrna Loy was so damn hot--always loved her in the Thin Man movies too. And yes, he did have a knack for wooing the ladies off-screen as well, as his numerous marriages will illustrate LOL

ceceliadjun said...

good................................................

teenybuffalo said...

Thanks for posting these. I have such a crush on Boris... it's good to know I'm not the only one. I had a lot of fun watching "The Raven" (1963) because Karloff doesn't have to die at the end, and also because he's the only character who gets the girls. That photo of Dr. Scarabus and Lenore looks like he's thinking, "I happen to be boffing a hot redhead. Pardon me while I smirk."

The Gloria Stuart photo looks like the cover of a rather intriguing trashy-romance novel.

"Give me that body!"
"But my husband..."
"To hell with your husband."
"Oh, Morgan, you hunk of scar-faced manliness. Come here."

Related Posts with Thumbnails