Wednesday, October 7, 2009

HALLOWEEN HIJINKS: Movie Marathons


Big big big thankyou to B-Sol for covering for yours truly as I was battling some sort of something or other. My immune system is about as good as David Letterman is at keeping things under-wraps. aka....Not good at all. However I do believe that I am back and kicking! When it comes to the witching season, nothing can compare to the beautiful sound of a Horror Movie Marathon. When I was growing up, I could almost guarantee that AMC would have a marathon of all the Halloween films the night of Halloween. Luckily, I live in a town that still has Trick-Or-Treating on the actual holiday rather than the weekend before it. Anyway, I could always remember literally running door to door trying to accumulate the same amount of candy as my friends, but in half the time. I needed to be home by 7pm, I had movies to watch. Yes, you read that right. As an 8 year old little girl, I would pick horror films over candy....anyday. I would run home to house where my parents would still be having a little fire pit in our driveway, and run straight for the living room TV. I don't think my parents have ever known how my Trick-Or-Treating adventures went, as I ran past in such a fury, they didn't have time to talk to me.

For the longest time, we could only expect to have horror films the weekend of Halloween, but now we are very blessed. With ABCFamily's 13 Days of Halloween, SyFy's 31 Days of Halloween, TCM's 48 Hours of Horror, AMC's Fearfest, and countless other network's holiday marathons, we can have horror films for the entire month. Let's just say I WILL be awake at 1:30am (12:30 am my time) on October 25th to watch Return of the Living Dead on AMC. They have an absolutely AWESOME lineup this year and I plan on watching all that I can. If I can't make it to Flashback weekend in Chicago, damn it I'm GOING to enjoy myself with films. I'm not so happy about the selection of Psycho (1998) however....BUT that's beside the point.

I have made my own list of films I will be watching to prepare me for the upcoming season, create one for yourself and tell me how it works for ya!

  • The Curse of Frankenstein
  • The Bride of Frankenstein
  • The Abominable Dr. Phibes
  • 28 Days Later
  • Zombi 2
  • Suspiria
  • Let the Right One In
  • Evil Dead
  • Evil Dead II
  • Army of Darkness
  • Carrie
  • Halloween
  • Halloween 4
  • Halloween 5
  • Night of the Living Dead
  • Return of the Living Dead
  • Night of the Creeps
  • Shaun of the Dead
  • Dawn of the Dead
  • The Thing
  • Grace
  • Sleepaway Camp
  • Re-Animator

Needless to say, Family Video is going to LOVE me.


I got the dyslexic edition.

4 comment(s):

Bookmonkey said...

Great movie list BJ!

I've actually never seen Night of the Creeps, but I'll be picking it up when it comes out on DVD on October 27. I actually had an editor at Archie magazine describe it to me as the closest thing to a live action Archie and Jughead movie he had ever seen.

B-Sol said...

Hell of list. I just bought one of those discount 50-movie horror DVD box sets at FYE, so I'm all set! Phantom of the Opera, Dementia 13, Little Shop of Horrors, Attack of the Giant Leeches....etc. etc. etc. :-)

Robert said...

Great list, more than a few of those are on mine:

Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
The Fly (Cronenberg version)
Cannibal Holocaust
Dead Alive
Let the Right One In
Evil Dead
Evil Dead II
Army of Darkness
Trick r Treat (this is already an instant classic)
Halloween
Night of the Living Dead
Return of the Living Dead
Dawn of the Dead
The Thing
Altered States
Re-Animator
From Beyond

Abe Fried-Tanzer said...

TV Tango has a complete calendar of every Halloween TV specials and marathons. Check it out at http://www.tvtango.com/news/detail/id/105.

Related Posts with Thumbnails