Monday, October 19, 2009

GIMME SOME SUGAR BABY: A lifelong love affair with Ashley J. Williams

Hello there Womanizers! Yes, yes you have turned into the right station and there is no need to change the settings on your screen...I AM BACK! Since I oddly decided that studying for midterms should take precedence over the people who love me most, I figured the only way for me to make it up to you, is by giving you a bomb diggity post. Maybe you've been following me from day one, or maybe you're a first time reader...if you've done your expected light internet stalking, it's no secret that I have a lovely fangirl obsession with not only Bruce Campbell but his iconic character Ashley "Ash" J. Williams from Sam Raimi's Evil Dead series. I make mention of my love for him, but I've never really gone into details on how this all started, and how deep this infatuation really is. So here's a trip down memory lane and an adventure inside the mind of BJ-C...this is a look at a lifelong love affair with Ashley J. Williams.

The obsession started when I was merely 10 years old. At a young age, I was already a horror hound with my roots in 80's slashers shown to me by my mother and Vincent Price's classics given to me by the owner of the Ma & Pa video store down the street from me. It wasn't until I was about 10 that I ventured in the back room of the video store to pick out horror flicks of my own. I'll never forget the day my eyes fell upon The Evil Dead. I couldn't even tell you what the film was sandwiched between, because my eyes were drawn directly to the image of a woman reaching for dear life to the surface while a hand was pulling at her throat from underground. That image will forever be ingrained into my psyche as one of the most horrifying things I had ever seen. I grabbed the VHS and headed to the counter to take home my finding. The video store manager just shook his head and asked if I was prepared for this. I instinctively told him "If I can handle John Carpenter, Wes Craven, and Stephen King...then I can handle this Sam Raimi guy. I've never even heard of him!". The store clerk just nodded his head giggling and sent me on my way.
The first thing that completely drew me in about Bruce Campbell was how unusually handsome he was. He knows it too. If chins really could kill...I would be six feet under. Coming from a girl who told her mother she was going to marry John Lennon at the age of 4, I was well aware of the attractive nature of the male species and wanted Ashley J. Williams to give me a mirror necklace more than anything. I even had a little plastic mirror/magnifying glass looking thing that I chained around my neck when I was little. It's long gone now which is very depressing, but I came across it a few years ago and it took me back :) For my twelfth birthday, my parents got me tickets to see N*SYNC in concert and an Evil Dead II poster. I went to the concert, rocked my brains out, and went home to put up my poster...on my ceiling. That's right, I was a bit of a deviant even in my younger years. I couldn't explain it. Most girls my age were swooning over Justin Timberlake and Leonardo DiCaprio, and I was absolutely head over heels with Ashley J. Williams. There was something about his confident, his sexy one liners, and the chainsaw arm that just drew me in like no other.

Evil Dead II is what REALLY sparked my obsession. I knew Ash was a cool dude in the first one, but the second film absolutely blew my mind. I couldn't believe what I was seeing on screen. A guy who cut his own arm off, the laughing rooms escalated times a BILLION, a reflection popping out of the mirror and grabbing him!? I couldn't believe it. I was hooked on it, and it was the absolute perfect treat for my bloodlust. The one liners given to him in this film really got me going and after puberty hit...all bets were off. It was after I went through puberty that I finally got around to watching Army of Darkness. I had been putting it off for a while because I knew the storyline wouldn't be anything like EDI OR EDII and I was afraid that it would ruin my obsession with Ash....boy was I wrong. The second I saw him half naked, boom stick in hand....it was love.


My obsession has gone to the point of owning random bits of Evil Dead memorobelia (thanks to some lovely donations and presents) and I'm proud to say that this Halloween...I will be a female version of Ash. Pictures will come.
Peace, Love, and Brains.

4 comment(s):

B-Sol said...

Where does that mechanical hand pic come from? Is that deleted footage from Evil Dead 2?? Or something from Army of Darkness that I don't remember cause I haven't seen it in a bajillion years?

InsaneMage said...

Army of Darkness!! He makes it with the weapons smith and his 20th century know-how. :P Sweet!

B-Sol said...

Oh gosh. I really need to see it again. It's been too long.

The Curious Cat said...

Hee hee! Loved this post! I haven't really seen any of the Evil Dead all the way through- though they have been on the list for ages. I was due to have an Evil Dead night round a friend's house recently but it got cancelled last min - doh! Soon though...soon! xxx

Related Posts with Thumbnails