Monday, September 21, 2009

Yes, I LIKED Jennifer's Body. SUE ME.

I seriously have always wondered what happens if someone sacrifices a girl to Satan and she wasn't a virgin. You know what, now I know...and I sort of want to be sacrificed right about now. This film is hilarious and screw what everyone says, I LIKE IT. Personally, I wasn't expecting to be terrified, I wasn't expected to be blown away by Oscar-Worthy acting jobs, and I wasn't expecting to run in the streets and tell everyone of its brilliance. This film IS exactly what I expected so I walked away happy. Megan Fox is as shittacular of an actress as she could possibly be and watching her try so hard to be a good actress made it all the more enjoyable. People put this film too high on a pedestal before seeing this in my opinion. It was so over-hyped that people completely forgot about their preconceived notions and actually expected something.
Does the film have its problems? Of course, all films do. However the horror blogging community has been ripping this film to shreds and it doesn't deserve as much shit as it's getting. As much as I adore Brad McHargue of I Love Horror, I must disagree with something he said in his review "This woman has absolutely no grasp on reality, convinced all teenagers live in their own self-involved world and communicating through a made up language indecipherable to anyone with a fully developed brain or lacking the latest book of Cody-speak. Every single line is peppered with faux-teenage slang, itself an affront to teenagers existing on this plane of existence, and spouted out by wooden characters." Well dear, this is where my age DOES come in handy. We DO all live in our own self-involved worlds and comunicate through made up languages that people don't know how to decipher. One of the reasons that Juno was so successful is because she spoke our language and she was right on point. We do sound like that, we do make unnecessary comparisons using pop culture references, and we do use faux slang.
The other thing I liked and can vow for, is that the two characters of Jennifer and Needy are realistic. I know girls exactly like them, they may not necessarily hang out together but girls like them do exist. Using their hip lingo that makes them sound half awesome and half handicapped, these girls are EXACTLY like ones I went to high school with. How Diablo Cody understands completely what teenagers today sound like is beside me. Anyway. I love the fact that the two characters are so 1990's teen movie it hurts. Needy is straight out of She's All That and Jennifer is just a walking prototype for Malibu Barbie but from the young Angelina Jolie line. Cody wasn't trying to give us these super deep characters, she gave us vapid teenagers in a horror comedy, we're all just taking it way too seriously. We keep analyzing this film like its the freaking DaVinci Code, and it's not. It's a film with Megan Fox in it for christsake, what were you expecting?

So there you have it, I like it. No matter how many long winded comments I recieve about it, I'm still going to like it.
:)

9 comment(s):

Karen said...

I enjoyed it too!

www.reelartsy.com

Cins said...

I haven't seen it yet but your review has peaked my curiousity. I honestly don't know why so many people are up in arms about this movie. I don't think it was false advertising to me. It looked like a cheesy funny horror comedy the moment I saw the trailer.

Pax Romano said...

Have not seen it, but your review has piqued my interest.

brett g @ oh-the-horror.com said...

I enjoyed it a lot. I thought it was quite possibly the most entertaining horror movie this year, right up there with Drag Me to Hell.

Jeff Allard said...

I really dug this movie - you're definitely not alone in thinking it rocked. I rate it as one of my faves of the year so far.

rylestheryter said...

I thought this movie was great. I'm a hardcore Cody admirer, and I thought she really delivered in this one. And let's not forget the fantastic Adam Brody playing Nikolai. :D

zillaspice said...

Haven't seen it yet, but I will. And THANK YOU for voicing my biggest gripe about people who hate Juno because "teens don't talk like that." YES, THEY DO! As you point out, if you look up the definition of self-involved in the dictionary there will be a picture of a teenage girl. Teenagers sort each other out according to what pop-culture tribes they belong in, that's how they identify themselves to each other, by constantly name-dropping the shit they're into. In my day, Juno probably would have been considered totally annoying by her more popular peers and a "poseur" by those who considered themselves really hardcore. I'm sure I sounded just like Juno in high school. I think people just don't like the unflattering pictures Cody paints and you're right, it's all taken WAY too seriously. I'm looking forward to seeing MY actual conception of what popular, pretty girls were REALLY like played out on screen by that gorgeous idiot Megan Fox. Yay.

Madman007 said...

HELL yes! Finally, a good review for this movie.
[MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS!] I think people put this movie into a specific catagory of "horror-comedy" and it's so unique that it fits neither. If you look at this movie outside of the expectations, you will find an excellent allegory for teenage girls suddenly changing into Hell bitches - just in this case, that's literally. And why all the naysayers about Megan Fox? This was my first movie I've seen her in (I avoided both Transformers movies. Smart, I know!). I BELIEVED what she was and became. In that first scene in Needy's house, Megan was downright CREEPY! "Are you scared?" sent chills down my spine! Plus, the scene where she smears her makeup on really tells the reason why Jennifer isn't as self-absorbed as people think. Diablo got me to this movie because I loved Juno. But I don't think Cody will ever experience the same level of sudden acceptance as that movie did. And I think that's also what people were expecting.
All in all, this movie entertained me.

Anonymous said...

ommg i liked it so i thought i was retarted cause no one liked it!!! i mean its better than all the other crap movies people love!!! people dont understand that it wasnt all about getting you to jump out of your seat.it was more of a comedy parody.. it was mostly about how much kids now a days are idiot!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails