Wednesday, September 16, 2009

WOMAN OF THE WEEK: ANNA FARIS

I know I know, I'm a day late. I'm a terrible blogger and deserve 40 whacks just like Lizzie Borden's parental units. Anyways, this weeks Woman may be a little on the "BJ-C, did you eat a bowl of what the hell for breakfast?" side, however she is being featured as a promotion for our next list here on DotW. She may not be a Scream Queen by most people's standards, but damn it...SHE IS. If Shaun from Shaun of the Dead can be a bad ass zombie killer in a zombie comedy, then the truest of all the final girls from a horror parody series damn well deserves her recognition. I'm of course talking about funny girl Anna Faris.

Her breakout role was in her most well known performance in the horror parody Scary Movie. The 5'5" Faris, a natural blonde, dyed her hair black for the filming of Scary Movie and Scary Movie 2, so that her character more closely resembled Sidney Prescott played by Neve Campbell, who played the corresponding character in Scream one of the main films that Scary Movie parodied. Anna Faris is one of two people to be in all four of the films in the Scary Movie franchise making her a "final girl".

The one thing that I dislike is that many people may not agree with me ahout her being a Woman of the Week. However, I am more impressed with Anna Faris's ability to make fun of something I love so dearly, without pissing me off. She is HYSTERICAL and honestly knows her horror. You can tell by her acting that she has vigorously studied the characters she is portraying in order to well...make fun of them better. She does a great job and I have oodles of respect for her. It's one thing to run around and scream like an idiot from a man in a mask, it's another thing to run around and scream like an idiot from a man in a mask and make it funny.

Faris has played parts in parodying the horror films: Scream, I Know What You Did Last Summer, Beetlejuice, Halloween, Hollow Man, Godzilla, Urban Legend, What Lies Beneath, A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors, Signs, The Ring, The Grudge, War of the Worlds, Saw II, The Village, Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead, and Final Destination 3

8 comment(s):

B-Sol said...

Honestly the funniest actress working today. And I don't typically find comediennes particularly funny. Yes, I know, terrible. Not even Lucille Ball. But dammit, Farris is one funny broad. Love her in Just Friends... "Forgiveness... Is more than saying sorry..."

Cins said...

LOVE her. I completely agree with you. And she has some straight horror cred to her since she was also in May. And I second B-Sol about her in Just Friends. She was the soul reason I sat through that damn thing from beginning to end.

EBrock said...

B-JC,

This is the one time I have to completely disagree. I find Anna neither funny nor entertaining, but am no fan of "parody" films either.

She proved she can act with a wonderful performance in "May". I've tried to laugh while watching some of her films, but I find her comedy acting annoying & completely forgettable.

But we all have different tastes.

The Curious Cat said...

She's also really good in the film Hot Chick...I love that film...though it ain't quite horror... xxx

B-Movie Becky said...

I really like Anna Faris. She's actually funny, unlike a lot of other "comedic actors" in the Scary Movie films.

rylestheryter said...

she's also awesome in "May" with Angela Bettis and Jeremy Sisto. check that awesomeness if you haven't already.

Matt-suzaka said...

Outside of Sarah Silverman and Amy Poehler (who both come from stand up/comedy troupes), Anna Farris is one of the funniest women in showbusiness in my opinion.

She has the most natural comedic delivery and timing I have seen from an actress and can she make it fit in with any role that she plays. Of course someone brought up May, which she was great in, on top of it cementing her as a Scream Queen, she was also fantastic in the bit part she played in Lost in Translation.

Great choice!

zillaspice said...

May is probably the best girl-oriented horror flick since Ginger Snaps, and on par with Carrie. Anna Faris is hilarious in it. I also think she is hilarious, as most stunningly beautiful women who refuse to take themselves seriously tend to be. I think she rises above most of the crap she's in, and unfortunately she mostly seems to be in crap. She was great in Lost in Translation, too. And there's a very obscure stoner movie she stars in called "Smiley Face" that is fucking priceless. Find it, you won't regret it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails