Wednesday, July 15, 2009

WOMAN OF THE WEEK: Danielle Harris

Welcome Welcome Wednesday Womanizers! I really need to find some new catchy greetings to introduce these weekly editions...Anyways, today I'm featuring a girl who defined a character, and has dazzled us in the ways of horror films ever since. She's like the Drew Barrymoore of horror flicks. She has transcended to running scared little girl, to bonafide Scream Queen. It takes some mad skills, a wicked scream, and of course a sexy look to transcend in the film industry, and this one has done it with flying colors. She's of course, the one and only Danielle Harris.

Danielle was first a Soap Opera darling, but made her way to the fields of the frightening when she stepped on the screen in Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers as the masked murderer's niece Jamie Lloyd. That means this little one got her start as the biggest Scream Queen of the modern era's daughter. It was only right that she'd become a Scream Queen herself! Jamie suffers from nightmares about her uncle Michael, and in the 5th film of the series, she and him share almost a telepathic connection. The fourth film is heartbreaking because for the first time you see Michael out and intending to harm a little girl and her foster sister Rachel. She ran around town in a clown costume and screamed for almost the entire film. My favorite scene is one that isn't even as "memorable" and its watching her being teased for being related to Haddonfield's Boogeyman. My heart strings pulled for that little girl! However, who can forget at the end of the 4th film when Jamie is shown at the top of the stairs with the clown mask on weilding a knife. The 5th film Jamie is rendered a mute and suffers from seizures. Scary enough, her connection with Michael hasn't gone away and she goes into convulsions whenever he is about to kill. Myers tracks down his niece in his childhood home after Loomis takes her. By addressing him as "Uncle," she gets him to pause and remove his mask. I swear to you, that is the most insane moment of the whole film. You know it's not going to work and that Michael is going to get her, but you don't know when. So for that little girl to pull that off...is DAMN impressive.
She took some time doing other films which most have become cult-hits and even got to be in a Disney Channel flick with a very very young Katherine Heigel. She made her return to the genre that made her famous by playing a seemingly bit part but a very memorable part in Urban Legend. She played a nympho-cyber goth who sadly met her demise because her roommate assumed she was getting laid when in reality, she was getting slayed! Okay yeah that was like a bad tagline for a film, but hey. My blog, my rules.

She had some reocurring roles on the supernatural show Charmed but it wasn't until recently that she really got back into her horror roots...literally. Rob Zombie cast Danielle to play Annie Brackett in his Halloween remake as well as the upcoming sequel H2. Honestly, that's pretty ballsy and very awesome to see someone who was a pretty memorable part of the Halloween franchize being reeled back in. Especially since she wanted to participate in the 6th film of the series for a meager $ 5,000 dollars and they denied her! Those assclowns! I will admit though, seeing Danielle Harris's boobs in the remake really creeped me out. I mean, it's Jamie Lloyd all grown up really. Still screaming the same scream and still running from the same killer. How can you expect me to differentiate?! So yeah it freaked me out :). She was my favorite of the girls though, Sorry Scout.

Danielle also has a handful of "under-the-radar" horror films on her resume, but let us not forget where she came from :)



11 comment(s):

B-Sol said...

What does it say about me that I have no problem at all seeing Danielle's boobs in the new Halloween? Don't answer that!

venoms5 said...

That was about the only bright spot in that horrible movie.

Ms Harker said...

B-Sol it says you like boobs, no more, no less... Nice pick for WotW, understated, but Ms Harris has some screaming talent. I liked your word play... lay, slay... where would we be without our horror puns, fabulous!

www.musingcontinuum.com

B-Sol said...

I knew you wouldn't judge, Ms. Harker ;-) Bless your prurient Aussie heart.

Carl (ILHM) said...

I was a huge fan until she was a total bitch to us at one of the conventions, pissy Diva attitudes earn quick hatred for ol' Carl..

BJ-C said...

I try to ignore it. Everyone tells me Bruce is a dick but I can't think about him like that. Ruins it!

B-Sol said...

Bruce is totally not a dick. I've heard he's a total sweetheart and loves his fans. Now Tom Savini, on the other hand.....

Matt-suzaka said...

Bruce Campbell is very nice, and I was lucky enough to discuss the beauty of Massachusetts foliage in great detail with the man at a book signing for 'If Chins Could Kill.' He was nothing short of kind.

There was a time when Harris had a real bad stalker problem thanks to her Halloween fame. So, I give her credit for still doing cons after some of the shit she went through. I have met Harris a few times and I find her to be quite pleasant and incredibly scrumptious to boot. She may have been nicer to me than to others probably because she wanted to bone, but I digress. I have no problem with seeing her boobs (we're the same age) since I have lusted after them from the moment I saw her on Roseanne...If I was David, Darlene would have been eating my dust!

I will add that my (and many others) pick for biggest genre asshole goes to Savini hands down. I met him at a con and was completely star struck. I have idolised him since I was 12 and he could have given two shits about anyone around him, he acted like he was busy. Busy doing nothing. He was just all about getting that cash money for his shitty VHS copies of Scream Greats. This was before Dawn of the Dead was remade and Grindhouse was a twinkle, so he was slumping big time and his table wasn't even with the guests....it was in the dealer room! Maybe he didn't like me cause I'm over 5 foot 2 inches...just a thought.

B-Sol said...

I had a similar experience with Savini, Matt. He gave me an autograph and acted like I was asking him for blood. A real self-absorbed tool, which was majorly disappointing. He seems very narcissistic, as well.

Never met Danielle, but Lisa Wilcox (Alice of NOES fame) is a real sweetheart, met her at Chiller Theatre a couple times.

BJ-C said...

Im so happy people have had good experiences with him. Lately I've been told "he's such a d-bag" and it's breaking my grinch-sized heart. Glad to know you've had happier experiences :D

Corey said...

despite the inherent weirdness in seeing jamie lloyd all growed up, i *heart* both of these images of her with scissors.

Related Posts with Thumbnails