Sunday, July 19, 2009

Too Many Panties in a Bunch Over Orphan

So I'm sure that most of, if not all of you Womanizers have heard how Jaume Collet-Serra's new flick has been pissing off adoption groups left and right. If you haven't...Orphan is pissing off adoption groups left and right. :) Apparently the idea of a couple adopting an "evil" child is unacceptable and they want the film to donate part of its box office revenue to help Adoption agencies or something like that. Let me be frank when I say...What. The. Crap. Seriously? You think that one horror film is going to make me believe that all orphans are evil and going to kill my family after I bring them home? I mean this is BIG news considering up until this point I firmly believed that all orphans had curly red hair, sang show tunes, and knew how to tap dance despite being in an orphanage their entire lives. That's just me though.


Apparently the big thing bugging people about the promotional junk going around is the line "It must be hard to love an adopted child as much as your own." Really people? Calm down. It's a FRICKEN movie. There are much more hard hitting quotes from films that don't tap into our "unfounded" fears about things. Hearing Ragen MacNeil claiming that "mother sucks cock in hell" doesn't make me automatically fear for my mother's safety in the afterlife, and I could care less if "all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy." You don't see me promoting everyone I know named Jack to go out and play. So my quote examples were a little bit farfetched but hey, you get what I'm saying? It's a freaking movie line, one line in a trailer isn't going to instill some untapped fear into people. If someone has issues about adopting before the film, they're going to have issues about adopting after the film. If someone is completely accepting of adopting before the film, they're going to be completely accepting of adopting after the film. I'm just saying its seriously just a movie...Calm down.



What else gets me is the fact that they're acting like this film is so extreme and awful. Uh Hello. Two words...PROBLEM CHILD. Yeah, that film with John Ritter with the demented ginger demon of a child who had been adopted and taken back more than any other kid? This film exploited off of his cruelness but because it was a comedy, nobody panics. However, say that film took out John Ritter, put the kid in a proper suit, and changed the music. We'd be having a completely different conversation now wouldn't we? Why is it acceptable to parody, but not to make dark? That's just not fair, and it's stupid. People are overreacting and I'm so annoyed with the whole situation.
PS; I know how it ends, and these complainers will change their tune when they hear Esther's secret...so CALM DOWN.

11 comment(s):

B-Sol said...

It's been said so many times before, but our culture really has become ridiculously hyper-sensitive. I'm also annoyed/disgusted by this whole overblown reaction. Thanks for pointing it out.

rylestheryter said...

this is ridiculous. people will look for any excuse to break into angry mobs these days, even over movies that probably wouldn't make much of a splash otherwise. don't they realize that by making a stink over it, they're only spreading awareness and piquing interest in the film? free marketing!

ps: i know Esther's secret too :D

DiveMistress said...

Does anyone remember The Good Son? Well, you're probably better off if you don't, but that was about an evil adopted kid. Nobody got all pissy with that one. But then again it was about an evil boy...am I detecting a pattern here? Problem Child, The Good Son...

In all seriousness, I agree with ryles, there. Any publicity is good publicity when it comes to movies, so maybe we should be thanking conservative whitebread America for keeping The Orphan front-of-mind while Voldemort, another evil orphan, continues to plague man- and wizardkind.

BJ-C said...

Oh I agree with you both, it would be an entirely different ball game had it be a boy.

Edward Brock said...

I know that people can do/say/be stupid, but does anyone who wants to adopt really use a film like this (or The Bad Seed, Mommie Dearest, Room For One More or even Star Wars) as their guidepost for adoption?

I guess there isn't enough "real" horror in the world to occupy the minds of some people, so they are always on the lookout for something to complain about.

B-Sol said...

This ranks right up there with the "Obama housefly" controversy as reasons why we are doomed as a nation...

RayRay said...

This was an uber-lame attempt by a "charity" organization to shake down the makers of this movie. Absurd. And, yes, B-Sol also nailed it. Reason # 734 to be exact.

Nice going, BJ-C on outing them on their baloney.

Ms Harker said...

Yet again, we see an extremeist view grab the headlines... YAWN! I agree with the comments above and I think there is a point to be made in regards to the fact the character is female and societies increasing inability to cope when women lose their shit.
I would also throw a comment the way of adoption agencies, as someone who looked into the option, its not a horror flick that put's people off adoption... It is more likely the the thousands of dollars you pay for the priviledge of being asssessed, which if approved you end up spending in the ten thousand range by the time you welcome the little demon into your home!

www.musingcontinuum.com

MonsterScholar said...

It's a hard knock life for orphans. But Orphan explores fears of adoption (like Bad Seed etc) just like Rosemary's Baby explores fears of birth. That's what horror movies are built on. People are just getting their dander up and taking it too seriously. It's just entertainment people, jeez.

Heff said...

"Womanizer" ? Well, I NEVER !!!

Al Bruno III said...

In a way I think one of the things I love about horror is the way it gets tight assed people's danders up. As you said, comedies about orphans are ok and superheros taking in orphans so they can put them in leprechaun boots and teach them kung-fu is ok but a horror film, apparently that is over the line.

I think this kind of nonsense is one of the reasons I fear for the LET THE RIGHT ONE IN remake. They are either going to have to tone down certain parts of Oscar and Elli's relationship or get ready for more screams of outrage from the 'Won't someone think of the children?'crowd.

Related Posts with Thumbnails