Friday, June 26, 2009

Have Some Respect for the King of Pop


You know what, this has nothing to do with horror but I don't care. I've had all I can stomach and I'm about to spew out a hell of a lot of word vomit. Today is a tragic and DARK day. You'd think that the death of the "World's Greatest Entertainer" would be treated with moments of silence and candlelit vigils. However if you look on the internet, we're still getting bombarded with asshole bloggers that are concentrating more on the controversy that surrounded him rather than the mind-blowing accomplishments he succeeded. This man broke more records, sold more records, and performed for more people than any other artist in existence.

I have absolutely ZERO respect for those who can't respect the dead. It is the single most disgusting trait of inhumanity one could possibly possess. You should all be ashamed of yourselves. Every last one of you.

Its just that no matter what MJ may or may not have done, you cannot deny that he's the man. I had a conversation with an 85 year old woman in the Salon I work at who said "In my day, Frankie just had to smile to win an audience, and he did it well. Michael...he completely changed the world, and no one can touch him". You know what, she's right. NO ONE can do it like Michael. I don't care how many dance lessons you take, you will NEVER moonwalk the way he does. Actually, our culture has lost a lot in general in the department of death. Its an ugly thing. We've become a culture of sarcastic douchebags. That same old woman held my hand as I cried. I said t0 her "This is my moment. I was too young for Dean Martin, Lennon was gone before my parents were even in the same state, and Sinatra didn't hit me until i was 12. This is the first time that one of my heroes has left me, and I can remember it" You know what, it is. I have no shame in that. Michael Jackson was the first artist I fell in love with musically without any help from my parents. I was raised on 80's metal, the British Invasion, and The Rat Pack. I chose Michael on my own.

What's sad, is that this asshole mentality isn't going to stop here. What about when Phil Spector finally croaks? Are we going to remember the fact that he did more for music than most people could ever dream of? Or are you going to remember him as the man with awful hair who axed some chick? The man was responsible for creating a sound that also changed music. He's in the Rock and Roll hall of fame, and he's never performed a single concert. Phil didn't do one sound, he did everything from Tina Turner, to The Beatles, to The Ramones. That's DAMN impressive, but I guarantee you no one is going to say boo when he finally leaves this earth.

I'm just saying. How dare any of you deny this man the incredible things he's done. Set more records, sold more records than any artist in history. His music may not be in the same genre of Sinatra by any means, but his performance and stage presence truly set the stage for EVERY SINGLE music genre to come. Even garage bands after MJ threw in kicks and personality. He changed music video, he changed song style, he changed concert performances, he revolutionized the sound of music. I refuse to remember him in vain, and anyone who chooses to remember him as a monster, is disgusting.



We live in a society of whiners, complainers, and over=reacters. I mean shit. Obama is getting bombarded by PETA for swatting a fly? Gag me. I'm sarcastic, I'm a bitch, I love to shit-talk, and I do it with pride...BUT There's two things that you just don't fuck with. America & Death. Have some damn respect for the dead. Call me what you want, give me as many nasty comments as you'd like...I don't give a flying fuck. Michael Jackson is amazing, and if you can't accept that...I just feel sorry for you.

“If you enter this world knowing you are loved and you leave this world knowing the same, then everything that happens in between can be dealt with.” -Michael Jackson

18 comment(s):

Aaron said...

I agree. I posted a rant about the negative comments on my blog but deleted it and left a simple tribute. It really surprises me, especially coming from Horror fans of all people, the amount of shit-talking. It makes them no different than the people who make fun of them for liking Horror movies.

porkhead said...

Agreed. I was genuinely surprised by the amount of shit-talking about the passing of MJ. Love him or hate him, the fella was an exceptionally good musician, dancer and all-around showman in his prime. People should have a little respect, simply for his contribution to music in general.

Gah, kids these days ;-)

John said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
John said...

Michael Jackson was my favorite artist when I was like 7 or 8, when I first saw the music video for "Black or White". Easily the first music I can remember really being into. At that point I think I listened to only MJ for a solid year or two. Yes, everything that happened to him and that he did and said after that era is really weird and fucked up (and quite sad really), but that can't change his professional and artistic legacy. It's interesting when you think of it, MJ only has 10 solo records out there. From the 1970's to today there hasn't been that much output, but I'll be damned if I can't find someone over the age of 12 who hasn't heard "Billie Jean" or "Don't Stop til You Get Enough". I'm one of the most dedicated hard rock and heavy metal maniacs you're going to find, but that sure as hell doesn't mean I don't enjoy other forms of music, and it sure as hell doesn't mean that I have to balls to say I don't recognize MJ as one of the greatest singers, songwriters, dancers, and performers who ever lived.

MonsterScholar said...

I heard on the news this morning on Today there was some editor from Vanity Fair who was talking about MJ's eccentrics. When Matt Lauer asked her what MJ would be remembered most for (his music or his odd habits) she launched into a monologue about all the weird things he had done over the years, including putting voodoo curses involving the sacrifice of cattle on his enemies. But as Matt was trying to cut the segment she said, "But I want to make it clear I love his music". I think we each choose to remember the people we love and idolize in different ways. For some of us, including me Jackson will always be the King of Pop but others will choose to focus on his shortcomings and mores the pity.

B-Sol said...

We all have to be careful not to get caught up in the cesspool of sarcastic douchebaggery our culture has become (myself included). The post-ironic generation can be truly disappointing at times. This is why our grandparents are better people than we'll ever be.

Johnny said...

Actually, when Phil Spector goes, I will choose to remember him as the drug connection dude from Easy Rider =)

However in all seriousness I will say.....

Fuck Phil Spector and what he has done for the music business. Ragging on Michael because of allegations that were never proven or ragging on him for what he did to himself surgically is one thing. Sometimes we just gotta seperate peoples personal lives and respect them for their contributions in their field of work. But Phil Spector killed another human being. Death to that man and may we all piss on his grave when he goes. And if MJ did really touch kids, then may he rot in the eternal fires of hell no matter what he contributed to the music world.

I love Bruce Campbell dearly but the day he decides to rape and kill a child, all respect and love goes right out the goddamned window. I draw the line at murder...

BJ-C said...

I just cant talk down on someone the day of their death. Phil may be a different story than MJ by all means, but the day he dies. I won't bastardize him...thats for the month later.

Johnny said...

Ya I see what ya mean. I usually wait till the day after a tragedy to make jokes on it. It's what I call the 9/12 rule =)

RayRay said...

BJ-C: I think you said a mouthful, girl. I agree with you. MJ was all the rage when I was a kid. Thriller was bigger than Moses, Jesus Christ and Mohammed.

Over the years my musical tastes changed, matured. But no one could deny MJ was great out of the box. I love the Jackson Five as much as anything else he did.

As time went onward, MJ did himself a disservice by becoming the freak he was on the day he died. It was clear that he suffered from too much isolation and too many "yes" men. He lacked any grounding, which people chalked up to himnot having a childhood.

I will say this: you are right to defend him against unproven allegations for which he was acquitted. And honestly, I am dubious as to those allegations. My gut tells me it was more like gold digging parents with an agenda than anything else.

But his freakish countenance and behavior left him on the outside of society, and an easy target for such things.

So when I learned yesterday that he died, I was surprised at the amount of loss that I felt. I am not shedding tears, like I did for George Harrison, but it was more than I expected. And I have enjoyed, if that is the word, hearing his music all day today, no matter where you went.

I think now that he has shuffled off this mortal coil we can now have our own idealized MJ. Mine was from the Thriller days: still black, big smile, curly hair, squiring around with Brooke Shields in a red leather jacket with too many zippers.

Soap Magic said...

I agree with you, Johnny. No matter what someone had done for the world, you shouldn't respect someone that had done something as horrible as rape or murder.
...
I was shocked when I found out that MJ died. I didn't really pay attention to his music, but I know what he did for the music business. I'm not even a fan, and I still miss him. May he rest in peace.

BJ-C said...

Johnny-9/12...goodness gracious, great balls of fire.

RayRay-I won't deny the fact he lost his marbles. I had a legit discussion of what would happen to him if he were cremated...I seriously think he WOULD melt or blow up. Without sarcasm in all seriousness. I just refuse to concentrate on the bad things people have done when they die. People have fucked up minds and screw up. It's not an excuse, but an explanation. He's the King. I just wish I had been more aware when Harrison went. My dad and I sat in the basement and listened to the Beatles, and he cried. It was awful.

waitformysignal said...

This coming from someone who refers to Heath Ledger as "Heath Deadger"?

BJ-C said...

That conversation was between myself and another horror blogger. One who could care less if anyone on this planet died. I was humoring him. Heath has also been gone for a while now. There's a huge difference between making light of a sad situation that happened almost a year ago and completely demonizing someone on the day of their death.

B-Sol said...

It's all about the timing, I think that's the bottom line here.

And John, the 9/12 thing is pretty fucked up. Not even kidding. And you're from New York too, man. I don't know about that one. Did you lose anyone?

Becky said...

BJ-C, this is why I read your blog everyday. Well said, dearie, well said.

waitformysignal said...

I'm not sure what conversation you're referring to, but I was talking about when you gave "Heath DEADger" as an example of a pun you enjoy in the entry "The 10 Most Unfortunate Horror Movie Titles" and spoke of "Heath Deadger's LAST film" in your entry about how Antichrist is the new Cannibal Holocaust.

In this entry about Michael Jackson, which you seem to claim is only vilifying the act of "demonizing someone on the day of [his or her] death," you also generally denounce disrespect for the dead. So, it's not disrespectful to use someone who tragically died at a young age as a pun for yours and/or others' enjoyment? Or, it's not disrespectful if you give it a year? I realize that time does indeed make a difference. But why is Heath Ledger's death merely a "sad situation," while Michael Jackson's is the tragic passing of an incredible human being?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending people who disrespect Michael Jackson so closely following his death. It just seems to me you are being too quick to judge so harshly.

Johnny said...

B-Sol - Na, I didn't lose anyone on that day (although my girlfriend's sister worked there and was supposed to be there that day but was sent on an outside errand) and it's only a joke. Maybe I just have a morbid sense of humor (well, I definetly do) but I don't think there's anything wrong with making light of horrific situations. I didn't actually make fun of 9/11 the next day, for the record. If a New Yorker like myself can make light of 9/11, then I think we can all joke around about tragedy.

Related Posts with Thumbnails