Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Woman of the Week: Helena Bonham Carter


Hallelujah Hump Day! I'm super digging the big heaps of comments my entries are getting, keep commenting! I love talking to you kids! Hell, I don't know why I'm calling you kids....I'm probably 10 years younger than most of you...

Anyways! This week I've brought you one of my favorite actresses. She is living proof that when it comes to horror films, its quality over quantity baby. Helena Bonham Carter or "The Domestic Partner of Tim Burton" as some may call her has done some of the coolest films and has rocked some truly awesome roles.


She took the voice of Lady Campanula Tottington in Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were Rabbit. Now, before you write this off...ITS A WERE RABBIT. It's right up children's horror film alley. Lady Tottington is the claymation/plastic character version of Gwen. Lady Tottington has to host the vegetable contests and keeps getting pestered by those damn were-rabbits! She is paired alongside Lord Victor Quartermaine, but it is shown that she falls for Wallace. However but poor Wallace has to be the Were-Rabbit at night time! What a shame to be in love with the Were-Rabbit! Extremely watered down for children, but super entertaining, it spoonfeeds the little ones a bit of scaryness while still holding the silly values. And they did a damn good job...it won an Oscar.

My personal favorite role of hers is Bellatrix Lestrange; one of the Death Eaters in the Harry Potter chronicles. On the list of wonderful things that Bellatrix Lestrange has done/will do in the films...Tortured Neville Longbottom and murdered Sirius Black in the break-in at the Department of Mysteries. She tortured Hermione Granger and Griphook, and murdered Dobby (Harry's House Elf) at Malfoy Manor. Murdered Nymphadora Tonks and attempted to murder Ginny Weasley during the Battle of Hogwarts. Whoever said Harry Potter was a kid's series, was seriously disturbed. The first two MAYBE are totally kid friendly, but these films are getting more sick and twisted as they go on. I can't even imagine how the last ones are going to turn out.

You may not have been able to tell, but she was Ari in the 2001 version of Planet of the Apes. Hell, I didn't remember that until I checked her filmography. Now, I'm not about to justify this as a good film in any way, shape, or form, but I will give her credit for being in my opinion "the best acted" ape in the whole damn film. However, I hate the fact that this film was made so poorly, I'm sure everyone a part of it thinks the same way. I love me some Tim Burton, but to him and everyone who told him this was a good idea for a remake...Damn them, damn them all!

Oh Kenneth Branaugh, raping the classics for as long as I can remember. Not really, he does a pretty decent job, however his casting in Much Ado About Nothing blew really really really hard. Anyways, he gave her a role in Frankenstein and kept it pretty close to the novel. Which is always exciting. A lot of people don't like this film, but as an English nerd...I enjoy it. Mary Shelley's novel was never really brought to the screen. The concept of Frankenstein's monster was given to us obviously, but never the romantic side that made the novel so famous. Helena was a great Elizabeth, I liked it.

She also set the bar for Hot Topic shoppers and Halloween costumes pretty high with her voice given as Tim Burton's Corpse Bride. The very close relative of Nightmare Before Christmas, Helana was the voice of the title role. She played an almost Urban Legend character of a Bride that was left waiting, and waiting, and waiting. The charcter she played is forever going to be a Halloween icon for little kids, and the film is pretty damn good. Not to mention, voice overs are a million times harder than acting, because you don't have body language to help you along. Helena does it with ease.

Finally, her most recent stint in the horror genre. Mrs. Lovett. She may not make very good pies, but she sure can sing. She blew me away in the film adaptation of one of my FAVORITE musicals. She was creepy, scary, strange, and yet...I loved her.


Here is someone who should be recognized as one of the great horror actresses of our generation, but isn't because she's stuck mainly to mainstream dramas. In my opinion, she is the Queen of Family Friendly Horror Flicks.

7 comment(s):

B-Sol said...

A genius of an actress who probably holds the record with Kate Winslet for least amount of movies that take place in the present day... She was almost as good as Johnny Depp in Sweeney Todd, which is saying a lot. And the Curse of the Were-Rabbit is one of those perfect "gateway horror movies" for little kids :-)
As for Branagh, I will admit the man is a ham of the highest order, and I can't stand his Frank adaptation. However, I do love most of his Shakespeare stuff, especially Hamlet and Henry V.

monsterscholar said...

My favorite part of Frankenstein is when she sets her head on fire =). Great actress and a great singer despite accusations of nepotism with her husband's casting in Sweeney Todd.

Planet of Terror said...

Funny that you post this the day after I saw the new Terminator flick. She was in it briefly and was terribly under-utilized. Such a great great actress.

I view her the same way as Tarantino views Uma: she's a muse.

hannahrae said...

Helena Bonham Carter has been one of my favorite actresses for a long time and it's good to see that other people are recognizing her for the talent she truly is.

Riff Dog said...

Yes, she truly is a great actress. I agree with Planet of Terror about her being a muse like Uma Thurman.

musingcontinuum said...

I want to Helena when I grow up! I was gutted in Frnakenstein with her charcters demise, I walked out! I love her as Bellatrx, she is going to be great in the next Potter installment. No-one rocks a corset like Helena!

Ms Harker
www.musingcontinuum.wordpress.com

Zacery Nova said...

I wish HBC was my Mum - seriously, I do. If you can, go to youtube and search: "helena bonham carter jonathon ross interview", she did an interview on "The Jonathon Ross Show" in the UK which was fascinating.

- Zac

Related Posts with Thumbnails