Thursday, May 21, 2009

Lars Von Trier's Antichrist is the new Cannibal Holocaust


You know that saying "there's no such thing as bad publicity?" Well, Lars Von Trier is a genius. How in God's name do you make a film with bloody masturbation, sex on a tree of limbs, and an extremely graphic clit chop (hello new sicko's to find me on google) and NOT expect to make waves. I've read just about every article that Google News has thrown to me about his controversial film Antichrist and in almost every article he's got this arrogant, "i'm not apologizing", "what did you expect" attitude about it. I am eating this up like breakfast mang. This film is going to be the next Cannibal Holocaust. I can sense it. It's going to be a completely mind-boggling film with scenes of gore and sex that will be forever talked about and analyzed. This is going to be BIG. IFC was freaking brilliant for picking up on this, at least someone knew this was going to be something. I haven't even seen it and Von Trier has already done things I thought were impossible.

1) He made Charlotte Gainsbourg look endearing. I personally don't find her the most attractive woman on the planet, and for some reason or another, I can see her beauty shine through her pain. Maybe she's destined to play someone who's lost a child...I don't know.

2) He made Willem I-have-jack-nicholson's-joker-meets-hannibal-lector-face DaFoe look sexy. He IS the ugliest man in the cinema world but that now infamous scene on the trees is so weirdly arousing to people everywhere. I'm assuming it's because I can't see his face.

3) He's made the most talked about film at the festival. Note: This is the same festival thats premiering Heath Ledger's LAST film. That's pretty DAMN impressive if you ask me. I thought his film was going to be a little foot note on that film's epic ass, but boy, was I wrong.

4) He got some standing ovations in a crowd of boos. Those standing ovations, those are the people I would hang out with. The people who can HANDLE it.

5) He put Jesus in a film called Antichrist. Remember people? Willem Dafoe, he has already played Jesus Christ in the Martin Scorcese film Last Temptation of Christ. How awesome is that?!

So to summarize, this film is going to be historic. Whether we all love it, or think its the biggest piece of garbage on the planet...it's going to be memorable. Everything bad-is good. :)

6 comment(s):

B-Sol said...

Wow. Heath Deadger. Can we say, "too soon"?

But yeah, this has officially shot to the top of the list of 2009 horror movies I need to see, with the possible exception of The Wolf Man. Still, Wolf Man isn't gonna have anybody getting freaky on a gigantic limb-filled tree...

BJ-C said...

Not too soon at all, it's already on t-shirts.

Planet of Terror said...

Have you heard of Grace? Apparently it made people yack in the aisles at Sundance. Totally stoked for this.

BJ-C said...

I've heard of Grace. I am also disturbingly excited for that :)

musingcontinuum said...

I have also heard the Grace rumours there is a website: www.gracehorror.com I think this is what everyone is talking about. I agree BJ-C this film will go down in horror history and love it or hate it, Von Trier has managed, much to my delight to get horror front and centre at Cannes! Oh and I also find the limb tree disturbingly arousing...

Ms Harker
www.musingcontinuum.wordpress.com

A Case of You said...

I saw this film at the New York Film Festival, and I have to say in a string of his films, it isn't all that shocking, and it certainly isn't all that gory when you stack it up against what the French are doing these days, but if you're interested, check out my review at FusedFilm here: http://www.fusedfilm.com/2009/10/new-york-film-festival-review-lars-von-triers-antichrist/

Related Posts with Thumbnails